Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 02:01 PM   #1

Question Is Two Full Beds Possible?

There are two of us, and we are close friends, but there isn't a chance in hell I am going to share a bed in already cramped quarters. It is very important to us to each have our own bed, preferably a full, though we are willing to get custom sizes to get something that's like a bit smaller than a full sized. Is it an option to put a bed over the bed, at about 4.5 feet high, over the driver's seat? We would put it longways so there was more space by the door. The other loft bed would be sat at the back of the bus, and everything else would be in the middle. We want a transit-style bus, hopefully like 35ft! I was wondering if someone more experienced than I could make a more educated decision.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Sure

Do it like a sleeper car. Back bed room. On the driver’s side is a narrow hallway. On the passenger side is the second bedroom. Sliding doors, pocket doors for each bed room. Then toilet/ shower. Use the drivers side as walkway front to back.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:27 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Easiest way to get 2 big beds (assuming full size bus) would be to build to big bunks across the back of the bus. It's not hard to do and you could integrate storage under both of them. Head room may be snug but yeah. You've got 7'6" of width to work with... so lengthwise, then what ever width of bed you want.

Not hard to support a couple hundred lbs spanning 7'.

This would take up the least amount of floor space.

Otherwise, 2 pull out couches which are also easy to build.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:03 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I have a 33' RE flat nose. My bed is a twin that is butted up to the very last seat that sits over the engine. I am adding a foam pad to be the same height as the mattress and a back rest to make the seat area part of the bed. This way, I can sit up and use the backrest, and when I lay down, my pillow would rest on the foam pad and I'd have the entire length of the mattress for my body.

Since I currently sleep on one side of a King, and a King is simply two twins, the twin width is fine.

If you added another twin to the other side, you would have just enough skootch room between the beds.

If you didn't want to do that, then bunks, especially if you are doing a roof raise. Or, bunk them in a L shape, with the foot of one bed overlapping the foot of another bed.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
If you're going to do bunk beds, I recommend making the beds out of 1.5" angle steel and expanded steel sheet, as this will cost you the minimum of height. You'd need to use 2x4s (3.5") or deeper in order to get a frame with the same bending resistance.