Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 w/MT643
Rated Cap: 71
Isolating Stock Heaters??

So we have the dinette in using two of the old seats and part of our kids old table from their jungle gym, the navigator seat (another old seat), 1/2 the foam board and plywood on the floor, and the kitchen counter minus the sink. She will be campable with a few more things done. Getting the heaters in is next on the list so I can get the driver seat in.

I'm not really interested in getting the heaters going with the weather we're having and will be having over the next couple of months. It's been very hot here in the Sacramento area. I was wondering if I could isolate the circuit of hoses so I could drive the bus without having the radiator fluid flowing even to the heater. I shut off the sprinkler type valve that was hard piped to the water pump and the sprinkler type valve on top of the engine by the dog house. Is the heater circuit of hoses separate from the hoses that carry the coolant to and from the motor or are they all intertwined? We have a 91 dt466.

On a side note, how often does everyone move their rigs around? We haven't moved her in a couple months and I'm starting to worry about flat spots on the tires.

Any info would be appreciated.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
heathnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Re: Isolating Stock Heaters??

Not sure about the heater. Mine had valves on the lines but I don't know whether they were meant for shutting off heat or just for servicing the unit.

The conventional wisdom is that tires like to be used. Plasticisers in the rubber get distributed when the tires are rolling. I try to give our bus a 15 mile drive every month or so to get the engine fluids splashing around and to clean the rust off the brake rotors. Personally, I think sunlight and lack of use are the biggest enemy of tires. Most RV tires rot rather than wear out so keep an eye out for cracks in the sidewalls.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

If you closed both valves, water won't circulate through the heaters. The valve on the water pump is out. You also won't have defrost.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Each heater should have it's own valve. My bus (which also has a dt466) has 3 heaters. The valves will not affect engine function whatsoever, I turn them off in the summer.

This valve is for the front drivers side heater.

This is for the front passenger heater.

And this is for the rear heater. Sorry it's so close :/

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote