Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Japaneese style vs roof raises and thick insulation

Hi,

I have read a lot of concerns about thick insulation limiting the height in the bus, and the roof raises to help out.

So here is an option and how i live in this Skoolie;

I didn't insulate because i didnt know if i would even like living in a bus, 2 years full time later... Now i know, however i did put down these soft foam puzzle floor pieces for kids areas. I live a bit Japaneese style in my bus; everything is down low. The foamy rug covered floor is soft on my knees. The only time i stand is to stretch.

I am planning bus 2.0 in my mind and plan to insulate the holy f$@& out of it. I survive winter with a nice homemade wood stove and buy wood by the pick up truck load, but i also sleep in a snow suit lol sooo yeah next bus will be more comfortable, but i do not plan to raose the roof and am going to lose about 8" to floor and ceiling Insulation, so Japaneese style seems a cozy fit for Pajamas kitty and I.

All my furniture sits below the bottom of the windows. I even cut the bottom 2 drawers off a dresser and off a book shelf. So it's low down in the streets style. Most my bus time is spent sitting on the couch, at the work bench, or laying in bed. When i want to walk upright like humans i exit the bus and put on my humanness.

Thought i would share this option because i havent read anyone suggest it here. I love figuring out how to work with what i have, and what i don't have. $

)

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:05 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You mean going Japanese style? That would alleviate a lot of height issues. I never thought of cutting off furniture to match the window height.

I like your foam puzzle floor idea because that should allow warm feet.

I applaud your decision to insulate the bejesus out of your bus. Sounds like it was cold. This story kind of indicates you've already chosen your next bus style. Is that public knowledge yet?