Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Jump Starting

Hopefully, this isn't something that happens too often, but, when it does, it's a bear! I speak from experience, as I had to do this last night.

I have good jumper cables. I also have a good battery on my Suburban. On Brunhilde, however, is the big problem. My battery drawer, complete with the three batteries, doesn't come all the way out. And try to get a good connection with the jumpers? Yeah, right! So...

I did some scoping out on the Interweb and found this solution.

A product, called Anderson Powerpoles exists. An even bigger plus is that they're not that expensive, either. I'll be installing one inside the battery box of Brunhilde. Then, I'll cut one end of the jumper cables off and install another one on the end of the long one. I'll be installing another one on the short end of the jumper cables, so that I might be able to use the cables in a normal fashion.

Total cost? Around $100. Not a bad fix for a bear of a problem.

CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I have a set of those sitting in a box, in the shop.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:09 AM   #3

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Anderson connectors are the bomb. They even have smaller ones that I use for ham radio and the like.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:31 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Back in the days of Fire/EMS work we Had them mounted on front and rear bumpers so that you could pull up in front of someone and hook your cables up without having to park facing traffic or open the hood .

LOL there was always someone that would leave the overheads on and turn off the engine on thee First response / rescue truck ending up with a battery to weak to start it .

Have them on my personal pickup comes in handy when towing trailer I have a mall harbor freight winch that mounts on the trailer to pull the tractor on when we go to disk a field for deer feed planting plugs in to the bumper used old welding cable run to the bumpers for the hot side and short bit of it to a good bolt on the frame for ground .

BTW the connectors can be found on eBay at a reasonable price and used welding cables are not expensive or hard to find and can carry massive amps at 12 or 24 volts.