Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 10:19 AM   #1

Junk RV to gut for parts?

Has anyone ever gutted a RV for parts? It seems like a RV for cheap would be a great way to get a roof ac, wiring for shore power, maybe windows, plumbing stuff like water heater.

Has anyone tried that?

dippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dippi View Post
Has anyone ever gutted a RV for parts? It seems like a RV for cheap would be a great way to get a roof ac, wiring for shore power, maybe windows, plumbing stuff like water heater.

Has anyone tried that?
I got a bunch of free rv stuff off a fire damaged rv. Was in the free section on CL. Got windows, ice maker, sinks, lots of stuff.
Wishing I'd gotten the hydraulic leveling system but I had limited tools and time.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Integrated CE S
Engine: DT466
Quote:

Has anyone tried that?
I highly recommend it. There were a few junkyards near me and occasionally had an RV or two. I wound up getting 4 windows (2 were massive), a toilet, 2 sinks, stove and oven, water pump, water heater, and probably some other stuff for $400 in total. Some items were of lower quality, but overall I think I saved several thousands of dollars.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhof009 View Post
I highly recommend it. There were a few junkyards near me and occasionally had an RV or two. I wound up getting 4 windows (2 were massive), a toilet, 2 sinks, stove and oven, water pump, water heater, and probably some other stuff for $400 in total. Some items were of lower quality, but overall I think I saved several thousands of dollars.
I've got a line on a whole RV, 1993, with bad water damage. But they want 1500, I can get them down to 1000, rip out what I need, then rip the whole back off and use the frame to haul a drag car with. So might be worth it.
Are the ac units from that year worth it? Are they still effective? Or is it better to get a new one?
dippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Integrated CE S
Engine: DT466
Quote:
I've got a line on a whole RV, 1993, with bad water damage. But they want 1500, I can get them down to 1000, rip out what I need, then rip the whole back off and use the frame to haul a drag car with. So might be worth it.
Are the ac units from that year worth it? Are they still effective? Or is it better to get a new one?
If you've got the space and time, that'll be a great deal. That way you get more than just the appliances, you can use the wiring and other stuff as well. Then you have a trailer as well!

I can't say anything about the AC units. I used a window unit and built an enclosure for it. I know a lot of other people have used roof AC units, so hopefully one of them can comment on the 1993 units.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Check campgrounds in your area. They sometimes have older or abandoned trailers that they may let you strip for parts for a fee. Often no title and they will scrap.
Brain's 97 Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
RV parts don’t age well. You’ll want to look for something newer, so if it’s parts from an old beat up camper, the parts probably are too. So the ones to go for are newer like CB’s fire or one whose roof leaked or was in an accident.

I tried that route but never found anything but junk on CL
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If anyone doing this has an Onan genset they don't want I'm looking for a decent deal on one. Preferably a 4.0-6.5 size... not too picky.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:

Has anyone tried that?
I highly recommend going this route. I estimate I have saved close to $5000 gutting a '88 class A. I still find little things I find I can rob off the RV. I'm even looking at using the front cap in my roof raise transition. I got my RV free, it had a fire from a deep fryer in it. Sold the engine and trans for $3000, sold a few other things as well, plus getting all the usable stuff from it. If I look at that total, nearing $8000. '80's and '90's RV's are easy to find with the engine already removed. Often these are the perfect candidate to get for the cost of hauling them away. Luckily, I drove mine into the back yard before I started dismantling it.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote