Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2016, 12:01 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
King bed (or bigger)?

I am huge, and while asleep tend to pull my dear petite wife's covers off - and even somehow steal her bottom sheet as I turn over. We've solved the problem with a dual king: it's actually two extra-long twin beds mashed up against each other. That way I can thrash about without disturbing her. We *want* that in a bus, and the bed would certainly fit (it's about 6'8" each direction), but one of us would be continually required to get up so the other could climb across and out of bed from the far side. I don't like that plan.

I'm thinking of arranging the bed so we sleep crossways to the direction of travel, with me at the far back of the bus, and the bed a foot-and-a-half or two from the back wall, so I could exit out the back.

<TMI>Background: we're both over 60. With this arrangement I could get out of bed as needed in the middle of the night and (please forgive my frankness here) use a homebuilt urinal that would be neatly stowed during the day so as not to be a topic for discussion with visitors. </TMI> My wife gets to sleep that way. And she could arise as needed and use the main bathroom. In the morning, if I get up before she does, I could throw on some clothes and use the emergency exit to get out of the bus. (Presumably I would have something like an old army blanket across the back door so she wouldn't get a blast of cold air.) I could then make my way around to the front door to get to the kitchen, the coffeemaker, the official bathroom, my computer, and such. Yes, I might get rained on; I'm soft, certainly, but I'm tough enough to handle that if my wife still gets to sleep. [She often has great difficulty falling asleep, and this would allow her to get something approaching a full night's rest.]

Thoughts? I can't think of any other workable way to get that large of a bed in a bus without the climb-over-partner problem. And I'm not keen on bunk beds.

Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:09 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I don't have any thoughts about the bed... I usually sleep alone and I get pissed when I turn over and the sheet and mattress corner comes off the corner!

But, you mentioned a make shift urinal....
Something that works great for me:

Old 11-20-2016, 07:48 AM   #3

No thoughts! But I wanted you to know how sweet you sound being that concerned for your wife's sleep! You both sound adorable. Goodluck
ashleylane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleylane66 View Post
No thoughts! But I wanted you to know how sweet you sound being that concerned for your wife's sleep! You both sound adorable. Goodluck
Naah: we're both considerate; SHE'S adorable.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
My bed is a king sized bed situated cross ways to the driving direction, but I'm not sure how that would work if I had a partner in my bed. Is it practical to use the emergency exit at night? It's a big drop down!
You can see a pic of how my bed is situated at www.thismidwifetravels.com

sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
...Is it practical to use the emergency exit at night? It's a big drop down! ...
The plan would be to stay IN the bus with my own facilities in the middle of the night, and to exit when time to arise in the morning. It would not be dignified, to be sure.

But I envision a set of steps or well-built ladder. Although a computer and photography guy I have somewhat the heart of an engineer, meaning that I can't calculate anything so I overbuild by several times. I think it might work.

Thanks for the link: I really like that idea for future access, and will probably incorporate it into my design.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
The plan would be to stay IN the bus with my own facilities in the middle of the night, and to exit when time to arise in the morning. It would not be dignified, to be sure.

But I envision a set of steps or well-built ladder. Although a computer and photography guy I have somewhat the heart of an engineer, meaning that I can't calculate anything so I overbuild by several times. I think it might work.

Thanks for the link: I really like that idea for future access, and will probably incorporate it into my design.
The future access design has worked perfectly for me! Will be bringing cabinetry through there in 2 weeks. So much easier! And I'm loving living on the bus!

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
if i had the chance for a do over on my bed, i'd think hard about 2 singles over the wheel wells with an isle down the middle. i went with a sideways queen, and i have 2 small sofa's that you can stretch out on. now that the bus is finished, i like traveling with my dad. well, he gets the queen bed and i get stuck on the sofa of my own bus. 2 singles is more flexible.