Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Kingpin replacements?

I'm pretty sure the kingpin(s) in my front right wheel will have to be replaced. Is there a website I can visit to learn more about what this will entail? How expensive might something like that be? What kind of procedure is required? Any specialty tools?

Also, I know I'm going to end up purchasing a needler to knock off all the rust under the body. What type of rust prevention paint works best for an undercarriage? Should I use roll-on, brush, or sprayer? Does the method matter much?

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #2

Year: 1984
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: GMC 6000
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Kingpin replacements?

Hey man, Changing the kingpin isn't that bat at all, I had to change mine when I swapped out my front passenger spindle in a the parking lot of a state park last week. After you strip off all the parts connected to the spindle, you will have to remove the caps on the top and bottom of the kingpin. Mine had two small bolts on the top and bottom holding the thin metal covers on. Next you will have to remove the cross pin. You will see a small 9/16th nut on the left side perpendicular to the center of the kingpin. Remove the nut, and hammer the crosspin out, I would use a mini sledge for that one.. the threads on my pin got a little munged, but I was still able to reuse it. Now after that all you have left is to knock down the kingpin. I would use a 6" extension and the biggest sledge you can find. After some good whacks it should start moving down and knock right out! My king pin was pretty big 1.25" x 8"...I still have the old one.

Good Luck!

Dan
navarredan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Kingpin replacements?

At least that's how it's supposed to go. I have seen some glowing cherry red under the tip of a torch with the whole axle in a 50 ton press to get them out. It's kind of a crap shoot. Myself, I stop at kingpin replacement on anything larger than a Dana 60.