Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Kitchen/bathroom on left

I notice almost everyone puts the kitchen and bathroom on the passenger side. Is there any real reason for this. My line of thought is I would rather have unobstructed viewing through the passenger windows than the drivers side windows. So the tall walls for the bathroom/fridge pantry, etc can be on the drivers side leaving the passenger side exposed. Pros/Cons?

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
On most buses, cable runs are on the driver's side. It's REALLY good idea not to mix fluids with electricity.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
On most buses, cable runs are on the driver's side. It's REALLY good idea not to mix fluids with electricity.
If I'm not mistaken, all the cables, or wiring run along the drivers ceiling. On the drivers floor are the fluid lines to the heaters.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
If you don't have waste tanks it doesn't matter. Hook-ups for water, sewage, and electricity are on the drivers side in campgrounds, and for that reason driver side kitchens and bathrooms are the general way it''s done.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post
If you don't have waste tanks it doesn't matter. Hook-ups for water, sewage, and electricity are on the drivers side in campgrounds, and for that reason driver side kitchens and bathrooms are the general way it''s done.
No black tank, just gray and fresh. I'm confused, most of the builds here I've seen were passenger side wet.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
On my Thomas, the heater lines run UNDER the floor. The electrical lines run above the floor and NOT in the ceiling. Yes, o1marc, you ARE mistaken.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
My kitchen and bath will be on the left, for precisely the cleanout reason mentioned by bus-bro. I hadn't really paid much attention to the numbers of people choosing one side or the other -- but placing waste tanks on the right side seems like it would create complications.

Fresh tanks can go anywhere they fit. I'll put mine under the floor between the frame rails. Gray tanks are fairly flexible in their location, with the obvious caveat that the water generally has to be drained by gravity to wherever you want the dump valve to be.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
"Standard" arrangement puts all the wet on the drivers side but mostly due to the fact that dump stations are set up to service that side on any RV set up. Also...you don't really want all the dump stuff (nasty, smelly) on the side you will most commonly use for camping/outdoor use (curb/passenger side).
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
On my Thomas, the heater lines run UNDER the floor. The electrical lines run above the floor and NOT in the ceiling. Yes, o1marc, you ARE mistaken.
I'm not building your Thomas.
I'm with everyone else, wet on the left it is.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:27 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Then why ask?

I've always said. it's your to do whatever you want to.

Just enjoy it.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
Then why ask?

Just enjoy it.
I asked, got replies, some good, some less than helpful, and was able to make a decision. That's why
Old 07-07-2018, 11:11 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If I'm not mistaken, all the cables, or wiring run along the drivers ceiling. On the drivers floor are the fluid lines to the heaters.
My Thomas has heater lines on the floor and power on the ceiling both drivers side
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Then why ask?
Because you can't hit 5000 posts in your first year without putting in the work.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:02 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I didn't ask for anyone's permission or opinion, I laid mine out the way I wanted it. Kitchen and bathroom sinks are on the right. Toilet and shower on the left. There are two grey tanks one on each side connected together under the frame. Shower actually drains to opposite side. That drain goes under the floor over the frame. Black tank is on the left. Sewer dump is on the left inside bay door. Fresh tanks are between frame rails in front of bays.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:43 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I didn't ask for anyone's permission or opinion, I laid mine out the way I wanted it.
Same here. Our fresh water is on the driver's side and is piped over to the passenger's side to the sink and shower. Grey water is on the passenger's side at the back of the bus, so we'll have to run the hose under the bus to dump. No black tank, as we've got a composting toilet. This was literally the only layout that would work for us. We put a LOT of thought and planning into it.

I was surprised to find that after all is said and done, I've still got an unobstructed view out the back door when I use that ginormous rear view mirror!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:41 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I notice almost everyone puts the kitchen and bathroom

on the passenger side. Is there any real reason for this. My line of thought is I would rather have unobstructed viewing through the passenger windows than the drivers side windows. So the tall walls for the bathroom/fridge pantry, etc can be on the drivers side leaving the passenger side exposed. Pros/Cons?

Sounds good to me
bhaley51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:34 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
No black tank, just gray and fresh. I'm confused, most of the builds here I've seen were passenger side wet.
I've seen very few and none that come to mind.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I'm crushed ECCB, almost all the wet in my bus is on the passenger side and you don't remember it--just kidding, no reason you should know since all my build pics were lost during one of several gyrations here at Skoolie. Two reasons came into play while I was designing my bus. First, the bedroom slide out takes up most of one side and has no windows so it went on the side away from the camp area and second, wifey likes to look out the kitchen window while she works and the camp area is more interesting than the utility post.

While black tanks are usually on the driver's side, my free-to-me BT has the drain on the passenger side. I solved the stinky slinky problem by installing a mascerator which is connected to the sewer by a 3/4" garden hose. The set up isn't visible unless one is on his hands and knees and looking for it.

Lots of ways to skin a cat and I can see why having the utilities on the driver's side is common. It seems to me that the "right" way to set things up is to do whatever best suits your end goal. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

There are a lot of reasons for building stuff in particular ways.

Sometimes it is best not to try and reinvent the wheel.

RV power pedastels, water hookups, and sewer drains are almost always oriented to the street side of the coach. That doesn't mean you can't have stuff on the curb side but it means you have to run piping across the bus to drain or hook up on the street side.

In a build costing several thousands of $$$ saving a few cents on fewer feet of pipe is not a really good reason to not build on the curb side. But the fact the drain lines have to go under the frame rails and under or over the drive shaft of any bus that isn't a rear engine bus just makes installing on the curb side more difficult.

In the bus conversion I had designed I wanted a center bath with the toilet on one side of the aisle and the vanity and shower on the other side of the aisle with a door closing it off from the back and from the front. I like the center bath that is laid out that way because it gives those of us who are wider in the beam more space to spread out as we do our business in the bathroom.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #20

Year: n/a
Coachwork: n/a
Chassis: n/a
Engine: n/a
Rated Cap: n/a
Quote:
Then why ask?

Just enjoy it.
I, for one, am glad he did. I've drawn up some rough draft layouts but I'd never considered several of the things that were mentioned in this thread. TYVM.
Big BackYard is offline   Reply With Quote