Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #1

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: 36' Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71, Eaton Fuller 10spd.
Kitchen "Counter" that is entirely sinks?

Okay, conversion crew, please poke some holes in this concept.

I already have a bus and am finalizing the layout and it looks like I will have a 5.5ft kitchen "counter" on the passenger side of the bus. I am planning to have other non-kitchen stuff on the driver side across from it, so this is the full extent of the kitchen counter space. I've seen so many people talk about how valuable sink space is and you can always create covers for the sinks that become counter space. So my thinking is....

Have a small 2-3 burner stovetop and then the rest of the counter be made up of 3 various sinks with a counter cover for each.

The bus will not be used for full time living (at least not soon enough that I couldn't modify the kitchen down the road if I do get a chance to live full time later) and will primarily be used with various types of groups for trips (think a bunch of friends at music festivals, 2 couples with a few little kiddos for family trips, etc). The multitude of humans being the main reason I'm thinking of having tons of sink space. Also, I can't figure out a negative?

Please poke holes. What - based on your experience or considerations - would make this a less than ideal design?

Thanks!!

Old 05-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i cant really speak for your layout because that is unique to each and every persons build and needs, wants and desires and thats what makes it yours.
my question is why three sinks and will they be on the same side of the bus for easier plumbing?
just basic stuff to bump your thread?
my thought of three sinks comes from my many years of camping of having three tubs for dishes one wash, one bleach rinse and one clean water?
they do make a double bin recessed sink that has a dish drying rack in it and recesses for the drop in cutting board?
would have to find it again but it is out there?
our single bin sink for our shortie has comes with the drying rack and cover board?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:01 PM   #3

yep, all 3 would be right next to each other on the same side. So plumbing should be fairly easy. And I'd have one faucet that has a long reach, so no need for multiple there.

Similar thought process as what you're saying about camping. The ease of being able to put dirty dishes in one sink, and then be able to have 2 others for either the wash and rinse. Or have one sink with dirty cooking dishes, one that is being used for food prep still and still a last one for flexibility of either drying, or again washing, etc.

I was thinking i could even install 3 1-basin sinks and make my own 3 basin. Mostly with large groups the versatility just seemed like a huge plus, especially if I couldn't come up with any major pitfalls.

And exactly as you mentioned, then having drying rack and cutting board inserts that could sit on top of any of them.

I couldn't figure out a reason that would make this a bad idea, but recognized there is always something a group can see that an individual misses. So wanted to see what that was this time.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
So, kind of a cool idea. I can see if you're really into cooking and want to have another person working in the same space, whether prepping or cleaning up.

That said, these are some other thoughts.

Leaks - Not a huge issue, but you'll have to keep all the sinks sealed, plumping, etc.

Storage space - All that extra plumping takes up more storage space underneath. Your initial point was about storage space. More plumbing means less storage space.

Cleaning - Three sinks to keep clean versus one. Countertops are so much easier and quick.

Portable sinks - I have one small sink, but will have a couple of larger plastic sinks that I can stack/store, use outside and of course, use as soak basins for dirty dishes before rinsing in the permanent sink. This seems more versatile.

Work space - The ol' saying "too many cooks in the kitchen..." comes to mind. Not so much in not being welcomed, but in reference to physical space available. By using those portable sinks, you could spread out a bit.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #5

yes, this was exactly what I was looking for!! thank you!

I like your idea of stacking sinks that could also then be used outside. And could obviously set on to of the counters, instead of counters "on top of" the sinks.

Also GREAT point about cleaning the sinks, as that is probably my least favorite cleaning chore for some reason...

Appreciate all the considerations. Now to figure out how all of them get prioritized for my build. Self conversions really are the best. Endless opportunities!
Old 05-26-2021, 12:57 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
Plastic dishpans
Kentucky Dreaming is online now   Reply With Quote