Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 11:39 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
I'm afraid to even cross the border into California! I'm certain with half the things I do or eat or use in Nevada, as soon as I cross that state line I'm going to be filled with cancer!
Gee, if you think California's bad try living in Western Washington. At least California's laid back. Washington's always a been a bit uptight.

bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:49 PM   #22
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFannie View Post
the chemicals used in building anything these days is one of the reasons we decided to build our own skoolie. We were looking at new RVs, 5th wheels, etc. I would walk into a new unit and my eyes would start burning and I would have a hard time breathing. My aversion to these chemicals will dictate our choice of materials in our build.
This is why you don't buy new RVs or fifth wheels. The depreciation alone makes it a bad investment, but the smell of the chemicals used in their manufacturer is a good reason not to buy new.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:40 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFannie View Post
the chemicals used in building anything these days is one of the reasons we decided to build our own skoolie. We were looking at new RVs, 5th wheels, etc. I would walk into a new unit and my eyes would start burning and I would have a hard time breathing. My aversion to these chemicals will dictate our choice of materials in our build.
I think it's likely that the stuff you're exposed to when gutting and building a skoolie (welding gases, the solvents in paint and seam sealer, dust from paint and rust, phosphoric acid, spraying insulation etc.) is going to be a lot worse for you than any off-gassing from finished materials. PPE can help somewhat - if it's available, which right now it really isn't.

Even in the case of the vinyl flooring here, the biggest threat to health from formaldehyde is for the people in the factories making the stuff.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:05 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
So i just put in some vinyl flooring in the bus, and then i see all this stuff about Formaldehyde gassing, cancer, and especially in the Chinese made stuff.

I checked the box and yep, made in China.
I got the flooring at a Habitat For Humanity Restore and have no idea how long those boxes have been around. Also, they sat in a shed for a couple of months since purchase. It will be another couple of months before the bus is used to live in, though I work in it every day.
Don;t know if any of this even matters, because some accounts are this stuff leeches out for a decade.

Any input?

I'm now debating tearing out the laminate floor and using some other wood, maybe plywood cut into strips.

Attachment 44723
I'm a little confused. Is it vinyl or laminate? Maybe it's a dumb question.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
Lots of great points!
Thank you!
I'll see if I can track the manufacturing date down.
Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:24 PM   #26

If you have some still not installed buy a test kit 20 bucks on Amazon put in a bag tie it of and let it seat for a week then you will know.
Shrek (russel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:41 PM   #27
Skoolie

Why should you be surprised about the Chinese flooring after all you bought salvage flooring from Habitat for Humanity of which about the only thing you know is it was CHEAP to purchase!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Why should you be surprised about the Chinese flooring after all you bought salvage flooring from Habitat for Humanity of which about the only thing you know is it was CHEAP to purchase!

Because it was what I heard was a good brand of flooring, and because Habitat For Humanity sells items that are discounted, not necessarily cheap. This was not salvage flooring, it was sealed in the original boxes.

I didn't notice or think that it was made in China.
And I had no idea about the formaldehyde BS until after purchasing the floor and having it stored for several months, when a friend mentioned it.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #29

You can buy laminate that is low/free of such chemicals. The stuff I got was CA approved or something like that, it had an odd smell for maybe two days at most.
unbentcrayfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:44 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbentcrayfish View Post
You can buy laminate that is low/free of such chemicals. The stuff I got was CA approved or something like that, it had an odd smell for maybe two days at most.

Thanks! Good to know!
Mine has zero smell. Don;t know if that really means anything. It probably sat a while in a warehouse, and it sat for several months in my shed. I have been leaving all the windows and the cieling hatch opn on my bus for about two weeks now.