Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 8.2 Detroit Deisel
Rated Cap: 6 carbon units 1 drag car
larger fuel tanks, where to get them

Hi all,

Been a long time since I have posted anything. A little back ground for you to remember me. I bought an 86 bluebird 88 passenger flat nose bus. It was converted to hold a car inside, yes inside. The frame behind the rear wheels was cut and beavertailed. New wood put in where needed, the back wall was cut out to the rain drip rail. A car trailer/car hauler style door was installed, wench, tie downs all that fun stuff. The front of the bus has a queen size bed that is actually over the hood of the car when it is all the way in. There are 2 sleeper sofas also. That is about as far as the conversion has gotten so far. It works great, car goes in no issues, it is fun and a total freakshow when i show up at the race track.

Ok now here are the issues I am having. It only has a 40 gallon fuel tank. I heard that those busses came with upto a 100 gallon tank. Is this true? If so, where do I get one. If not what was the largest tank used? Or better yet, anyone here ever added a tank? If so where did you get the tank, where did you mount it? did you tie it into the other tank, is it a stand alone system?

I have tons of other questions and issues but I am trying to do one at a time...lol Larger fuel capacity is what I am trying to figure out right now.

Thanks,
PD

produster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3
Re: larger fuel tanks, where to get them

I have a similar issue looking forward to hearing if anyone has a resources. My small tank the sender is bad in so even more reasons to ditch the small tank and go with a larger tank.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I've been looking into this for some time now, since I need a second tank for my WVO system. The easiest, but most expensive option is to get a saddle tank intended for an 18-wheeler or dump truck. Best to get one that is long and skinny rather than short and fat. You could probably get away with a 75 gallon tank without losing any ground clearance. I got a 150 gallon tank and it was 27" diameter which is just too big to fit under the bus and give me the desired amount of ground clearance, so I resold it and am currently still looking for another used tank. Anyway, these tanks come with straps that are mounted to big metal brackets that then mount directly on the main frame of the chassis.

I've also considered getting a fuel tank from a boat salvage yard, though it's hard to find a large tank. You can also get one of those auxillary fuel tanks intended for the bed of a pickup truck. Not the "L" shaped ones, but a rectangular style tank. You would probably have to do a bit of modification to make one of these work as a primary fuel tank though.

Lastly, and the most sketchy option, but cheapest, is to use two 30 gallon barrels and modify them to have the appropriate fittings. Mount them side by side and connected so the fuel flows freely between the two tanks. Some people have mounted 50 gallon barrels under their buses, but I feel that the ground clearance is too low, so I prefer the 30 gallon barrels.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Hey guys I am glad I am not the only one in this tight spot.

I was thinking of having one fabed up but I think it would be expensive, but I could get it made to the size I want and have the mount points where needed.

But I am thinking the extra tank with a modification to the first tank to let fuel flow between them freely is the best option.

I have looked as some marine applications but they are all 30 gallon or so and the 50 gallon tanks are too tall and will not work mounted sideways. The other thing that is scary to me about the marine applications is they are plastic. That means one should have some sort of shield around it to protect the tank from things flying up at it.

I will keep searching and post here if I find something.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Very true.

I actually just found a truck dealer that has new and used fuel tanks. Some are huge!!! 180 gallons!!! But no prices on their site just what they are and what they go to. A lot of them are round tanks. I am going to measure my bus this weekend and see the whats and wheres on the tank mounting and go from there. If I can get a 90+ gal tank to work with little to no issues I will be very happy. I have decent fab skills just no room to work on the bus.

The site I am talking about is.... http://www.frontiertruckparts.com/showi ... xtype=fuel should go right to the fuel tank section.

I will keep you posted and when I do this I guess I need to take pics to help out my fellow skoolies....