Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2022, 12:43 AM   #1

Largest propane tank?

What is the largest propane tank you have put under a bus?

BBTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:54 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird TC2000
Engine: 24 valve 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 42
I use the singles you can trade out at any gas station.
Finding a place that can fill a permanently mounted tank has been proven to be difficult in some situations.
Jay Brand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:32 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Same here, pair of standard 20 lb gas grill propane tanks with an auto-changover and a cheap gauge on each. When one empties swap it out at home depot or a gas station. Could also keep a third spare in a storage compartment but probably unnecessary. Depends on how much you go through but if only using for hot water and cooking (not heating) I'd think 2 would be plenty.

Around my area there aren't a lot of places to get a tank filled. Uhaul does them but there's usually a line and the same attendant renting out trucks and trailers has to leave the desk to come out and do the fill.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:57 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Me three

[emoji3522]Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:28 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
We're planning at least 20 gallons (not pounds) and probably a 29.3 gallon ASME permanent mount. Expensive but we plan to park for a month or more in some places and those swap out tanks are a RIP OFF. Convenient, but a RIP OFF.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 01:19 AM   #6

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS...s%2C327&sr=8-2 Can something like this be fit under the bus between the frame members?
BBTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 01:26 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
It may not work correctly when placed horizontal, why not purchase a regular 30# RV tank. I have one in my bus and I got it from a junkyard where they had a burned out RV. I have NEVER had a problem getting mine filled, there are plenty of places that are willing to take your money.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:11 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBTom View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS...s%2C327&sr=8-2 Can something like this be fit under the bus between the frame members?

That tank will work horizontally or vertically but it's not going to look hinky to someone, somewhere, (probably far sooner than later) when you go to fill and they're going to deny you service. That's because it's not something they're used to and they're going to default to "have to remove it.
In addition, how would you access the fill valve? The service technician isn't likely to crawl under your bus to access the fill valve and most places aren't going to let you do that function.

On the other hand, if it can be permanently mounted and not cause issues I'd love to know because the ASME tanks went through the roof on pricing and availability is in the dumps.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 05-11-2022, 06:49 PM   #9

I bought a tank out of a Class A that had been totaled from Colaw RV Salvage in Carthage, MO. 200 dollars and it was full. Mounted through the frame behind the rear wheels and has worked great. 30 gallons and has the sending unit to hook into my tank monitor system I installed. They had about 50 of them setting outside.
ultram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:58 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 6.4 liter Mercedes MBE 900
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
I put a 29.5 gallon horizontal ASME tank. It lasts and lasts. Space heating, water heating, cooking. No problems finding a place to fill it.

Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:22 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
ultram, just to clarify is that 50 ea 30 gallon tanks sitting outside for purchase. I don't need one but I bet there is a couple of skoolies here that are looking for one.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:59 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
colaws rv salvage

They have bins and bins of gages, air horns, really big, wide, long sunvisors, sinks, water tanks,,,, just all kinds of stuff....

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 01:47 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
They have bins and bins of gages, air horns, really big, wide, long sunvisors, sinks, water tanks,,,, just all kinds of stuff....

william

Looked them up. Their website sucks. very few things actually shown, mostly fill out a contact form to ask a question.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:34 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBTom View Post
Sure, but I would also caution you that anything mounted on a moving vehicle that hits the public roadways is supposed to be DOT approved.

Would it work, probably, from the looks of things, but you may eventually come across someone that denies you something, or possibly issues a fine. Or if you're ever involved in a crash and that tank becomes par of the problem, you'll likely have insurance issues if it isn't DOT approved.

Personally, I would try to find a horizontal LPG/propane tank that came out of another class A or something at one of the specialty salvage yards and get that. It'll be cheaper, you know it's a DOT-approved tank, even if you live in a regulation-nazi location and have to get it re-certified.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:42 PM   #15
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32' Two peeps and a Dog!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
Around my area there aren't a lot of places to get a tank filled. Uhaul does them but there's usually a line and the same attendant renting out trucks and trailers has to leave the desk to come out and do the fill.
This was ME!!!! lol While I was in the service my second job was at Uhual. You were Spot on. working the front counter checking trucks and trailers in and out cleaning them and yes of course filling propane and selling propane accessories! lol Doing that all solo! It was actually kind of nice after being micro managed all day at my Mil job. haha

Thomas
TMartineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:47 PM   #16
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32' Two peeps and a Dog!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I put a 29.5 gallon horizontal ASME tank. It lasts and lasts. Space heating, water heating, cooking. No problems finding a place to fill it.

Ok next question, how much sqft do you have whats your insulation situation like? and if it was winter time(heat running all day) how long does that last? 1 month 3 months?
Thomas
TMartineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:20 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
Sure, but I would also caution you that anything mounted on a moving vehicle that hits the public roadways is supposed to be DOT approved.
That tank is DOT certified however you don't have to have DOT certification for propane tanks. ASME certification also works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
Personally, I would try to find a horizontal LPG/propane tank that came out of another class A or something at one of the specialty salvage yards and get that. It'll be cheaper, you know it's a DOT-approved tank, even if you live in a regulation-nazi location and have to get it re-certified.
Most horizontal tanks are permanently mounted and are ASME certified. ASME certified tanks have no recertification requirement.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:42 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
there are re-certification procedures for ASME certified pressure vessels but it is not mandated to be necessary.
but in my trade we try to push those pressure vessels past there service life so we re-certify all of ours every two years just so that we can keep up with there condition and have an idea of how much longer it will last and be able to plan for its replacement and be ready when it needs to be that way that system is not down for months waiting on the funding and BS that follows.
the same with our propane tanks but that is more for forklift bottles that gets used and abused just from swapping them out.
in a mounted position protected from road debris an aluminum tank could last longer than the bus but i would want a painted steel tank where i could steel pull it clean it and or replace it once the rust monster gets to it.
can be in a an enclosure but not really weather tight because you want it to vent.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:37 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
there are re-certification procedures for ASME certified pressure vessels but it is not mandated to be necessary.
but in my trade we try to push those pressure vessels past there service life so we re-certify all of ours every two years just so that we can keep up with there condition and have an idea of how much longer it will last and be able to plan for its replacement and be ready when it needs to be that way that system is not down for months waiting on the funding and BS that follows.
the same with our propane tanks but that is more for forklift bottles that gets used and abused just from swapping them out.
in a mounted position protected from road debris an aluminum tank could last longer than the bus but i would want a painted steel tank where i could steel pull it clean it and or replace it once the rust monster gets to it.
can be in a an enclosure but not really weather tight because you want it to vent.
There are certification and recertification procedures for all pressure vessels other than perhaps one offs like a bathescaphe. Not sure what industry you're in that would want to recertify tanks that don't require it, especially on such a short schedule but anyone is free to spend the money.
Personally, I don't want a steel tank under an RV because in an impact I'd prefer any penetrations of the tank to not be capable of creating a spark and I don't like steel in corrosive environments.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:40 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
our beloved mcb camp lejeune, mcas new river, mcas cherry point, fort bbrag, seymore johnsons afb.
navfac norfolk type stuff.
make since now?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote