Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: International
Rated Cap: 72
Leaking roof or condensation?

Hello all, I am hoping someone can shed some light on a situation I am having. When converting our bus, we decided to seal up the roof vent at the front of the bus. We filled it with spray foam from the top and then sealed the hole with poly and tuck tape. Our finished roof is all cedar toung and groove. We are now starting to see drips of water come down at the front of our bus near the driver. Picture the area behind where the top marker lights are, the water is coming from that area, but is coming from higher than where the marker lights are so we know it its not leaking through the seal of the lights. The obvious source of the problem we assumed was that the air vent wasn't sealed up properly, but I have climbed up on the roof and double checked and resealed with silicone and I really don't think water is getting in there. My question is, do you know if enough condensation could be building up between the cedar and the metal roof to cause it to drip down? By the way, the main time we see the water dripping is when we are parked with the nose downhill or if the breaks get hit hard, allowing the water to move to the front.

Did we screw ourselves by sealing up the air vent? Is the purpose of the air vent to allow ventilation to prevent condensation build up? Or should I not be worried about condensation and be looking for other areas where water could be leaking in? I live in Calgary Canada so the weather temperature can change drasticaly from evenings to mornings possibly causing the condensation. Anyone with experience in this area of knowledge that could give me a little direction? The last thing we want is a bunch of water sitting above, ruining our beautiful cedar roof, and who knows what else!

Thanks,

Baran

1waxhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: Leaking roof or condensation?

Don't breath while inside the bus and the problem will correct itself. Haha. J/K. I think you will get condensation with the swings in temp. You might want to open up that vent to see if it will correct the problem.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Not that this is your problem, but I had a "leak" just like yours. When I finally got around to painting the roof, I found a hole in the roof that had been used to run to a radio antenna.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Yeah, that too. What he said.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

we have vent cushions in out vents to block out the sun and they still collected condensation even when we used those window cling plastic over the vent cover.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Was this resolved? My front roof vent is leaking and never stops. Seems to get worse the better I plug it. I'm guessing it needs to be opened back up? I have a 97 bluebird all American RE.

Thanks

Ben
Ben Alth is offline   Reply With Quote