Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Rogue1bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 150
Leaky@ss windows

I swear Iím spent a crazy amount of time unsuccessfully trying to stop window leaks... I have a 2002 Amtran RE, the water keeps appearing in the corners so of the windows. Iíve probably invested $50 worth of caulk trying to seal them up. I think a may have to caulk the insides of the bottom part of the windows, but that seems strange considering all the moisture is coming from outside... Anybody have similar problems and or advice to stop the leaks?

Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
bus-bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Whidbey Island, WA.
Posts: 1,073
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Did you pull the window units out to recaulk?
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
Skoolie
 
Rogue1bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post
Did you pull the window units out to recaulk?


I did a couple, but mostly scrapped and recaulked from the outside.
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:25 PM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
bus-bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Whidbey Island, WA.
Posts: 1,073
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
I'd say that in order to effect a successful long-term repair you would need to pull the window assemblies, clean and recaulk, then reinstall.

I can guarantee, providing the window assemblies themselves don't leak, that if you used 3m 5200 for a caulk they would not leak.
On the downside, you couldn't ever get those suckers out -- at least in one piece.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
Skoolie
 
Rogue1bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post
I'd say that in order to effect a successful long-term repair you would need to pull the window assemblies, clean and recaulk, then reinstall.



I can guarantee, providing the window assemblies themselves don't leak, that if you used 3m 5200 for a caulk they would not leak.

On the downside, you couldn't ever get those suckers out -- at least in one piece.


Good plan.. I may take this approach. Itís jus really puzzling because I can SEE all the joints on the exterior and the look good...
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:02 AM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
bus-bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Whidbey Island, WA.
Posts: 1,073
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Though I wouldn't the 3m 5200 as a caulk for the windows. Use something you can cut out. They used a butyl caulk on my '84.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Grayson County, VA
Posts: 1,275
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue1bus View Post
I swear Iím spent a crazy amount of time unsuccessfully trying to stop window leaks... I have a 2002 Amtran RE, the water keeps appearing in the corners so of the windows. Iíve probably invested $50 worth of caulk trying to seal them up. I think a may have to caulk the insides of the bottom part of the windows, but that seems strange considering all the moisture is coming from outside... Anybody have similar problems and or advice to stop the leaks?

We had persistent leaky windows on our Amtran too. Amtran is apparently known for leaking windows. We pulled all of our windows, cleaned the metal window assembly with acetone and a wire brush (using a drill attachment) so they were spick and span clean. Those suckers looked brand new! Then we cleaned the mating surfaces on the bus itself, down to fresh paint (removed any traces of butyl tape). Then we use 3M Dynatron 550 on all mating surfaces and put them back together. This was a solid 2 days worth of work. It wasn't all that bad, truthfully. Put on some good tunes and have a partner to help ya. Having said all this.....the windows STILL leaked. Especially in the corners.


It turned out that the water was coming in at the bottom of the glass, where the rubber gasket is supposed to seal the glass-metal union. The rubber was a bit dry rotted and it let water into the metal window frame, where it travels down to the corner and to the inside of the bus. Our temporary solution was to put a strip of clear weathersealing tape at the bottom of the glass, covering that gasket. It works like a charm. Our plan is to just caulk over that gasket, but we've got many other projects ahead of that.


Bottom line? Try sealing the rubber gasket before you pull any windows....that just may be the ticket and save you lots of frustration.
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #8
Skoolie
 
Rogue1bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
We had persistent leaky windows on our Amtran too. Amtran is apparently known for leaking windows. We pulled all of our windows, cleaned the metal window assembly with acetone and a wire brush (using a drill attachment) so they were spick and span clean. Those suckers looked brand new! Then we cleaned the mating surfaces on the bus itself, down to fresh paint (removed any traces of butyl tape). Then we use 3M Dynatron 550 on all mating surfaces and put them back together. This was a solid 2 days worth of work. It wasn't all that bad, truthfully. Put on some good tunes and have a partner to help ya. Having said all this.....the windows STILL leaked. Especially in the corners.


It turned out that the water was coming in at the bottom of the glass, where the rubber gasket is supposed to seal the glass-metal union. The rubber was a bit dry rotted and it let water into the metal window frame, where it travels down to the corner and to the inside of the bus. Our temporary solution was to put a strip of clear weathersealing tape at the bottom of the glass, covering that gasket. It works like a charm. Our plan is to just caulk over that gasket, but we've got many other projects ahead of that.


Bottom line? Try sealing the rubber gasket before you pull any windows....that just may be the ticket and save you lots of frustration.


Perfect! Thank you so much! I replaced one of the windows so I had the frame out and examined it and the corner where the water pools is higher than the part of the frame where water would go if itís entering behind the actual frame so itís gotta be the glass seal..
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:44 AM   #9
Skoolie
 
spenceronehalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: IL
Posts: 205
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Never coached any teams, not even junior soccer
Chassis: I'm still figuring out what this means
Engine: CAT diesel
Rated Cap: No caps, only hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue1bus View Post
I swear Iím spent a crazy amount of time unsuccessfully trying to stop window leaks... I have a 2002 Amtran RE, the water keeps appearing in the corners so of the windows. Iíve probably invested $50 worth of caulk trying to seal them up. I think a may have to caulk the insides of the bottom part of the windows, but that seems strange considering all the moisture is coming from outside... Anybody have similar problems and or advice to stop the leaks?


Only pulling and resealing stopped my leaks
spenceronehalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:12 PM   #10
Skoolie
 
Rogue1bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 150
It was definitely underneath the glass seal. I cut the window sealant with a razor, peeled it out, and tapped it down into the seal to create a space for the new caulk to seal up things. When I tapped the old gasket down into the window water was splash out in my face.

Iím confident I found the source.. Iíll know soon enough
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #11
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Fraser Valley British Columbia
Posts: 985
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue1bus View Post
It was definitely underneath the glass seal. I cut the window sealant with a razor, peeled it out, and tapped it down into the seal to create a space for the new caulk to seal up things. When I tapped the old gasket down into the window water was splash out in my face.

Iím confident I found the source.. Iíll know soon enough
The suspense is killing me!
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
Bus Crazy
 
TheHubbardBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post
Though I wouldn't the 3m 5200 as a caulk for the windows. Use something you can cut out. They used a butyl caulk on my '84.
No, absolutely not. 5200 is an adhesive sealant with the emphasis on adhesive. It creates what would be considered 'permanent' bonds. Way too strong for window frame assemblies designed to be removed. I don't think you'd be able to without destroying them.


Our International dealer told us Sikaflex 201 was what was used from the factory for sealing our bus windows, so we bought a case.

For comparison purposes, Sikaflex 201 advertises a tensile strength of 175 psi, a tensile lap-sheer strength of 130 psi, & a shore-A hardness of 38. 3M 5200 is at 705 psi, 400 psi (for aluminum, steel is even higher), & 68, respectively.


TDS for each:


https://usa.sika.com/dms/getdocument...flex201-us.pdf

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...-tech-data.pdf
__________________

TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: iowa
Posts: 584
Year: 1998
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: formerly 71 now 2 or 4
another reason we removed all the windows when we raised it. skinned over with 16 a and used camper windows with screens. school bus windows are junk
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:52 PM   #14
Bus Geek
 
ol trunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 3,114
Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I used Silkaflex 220+ to seal up all my windows, body seams and body penetrations. It is easy to use and cleans up with mineral spirits before it hardens. When cured it remains flexible and is paintable with any paint. I also used it to install the windshield as it is an OEM glass bonding agent. I pay $10 a tube for it from a local windshield installing outfit. I am entirely satisfied with its performance.

Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.