Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
LED Lights

Do any of you know where to find LED lights that are affordable?
I'm looking to replace everything in the rear as well as all the flashers overhead but individually they seem to be anywhere from $55.00 to $165.
Weldon brand seems to be most popular amongst the bus garages because of long warranties but I was hoping to pick up an entire set for under $200. It doesn't seem possible so far but maybe someone has a good source?
I don't mind leaving the original in but was going to play with the flashers while camping and run them off my battery bank.

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Looks like WWW.wish.com has all sorts of stuff for cheap it's just a question of quality..

The Daily Driver Bus Build
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:35 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I've always found what I needed on eBay. Same quality issue that Thomas mentioned. I feel like if a $1.00 light that is supposed to last 20,000 hours only lasts 10,000 hours, I'll be satisfied. Of course, lifespan is only one of many possible quality issues. To date, I've had no issues. Oh, actually, the issue I have had is when purchasing an LED/SMD to fit a specific socket. There are so many options it is not uncommon for me to order the wrong thing once or twice.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #4

Sound Off Signal is the OEM LED supplier for IC bus and their lights are much more affordable than Weldon.
Blk04Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
Almost There

Coachwork: Ward Vanguard
Chassis: GMC Vandura 3500
Engine: 350 Chevy V8
I replaced my filament brake lights with red LEDs that had come from a motorcycle website.

As mentioned, the trick is getting the right socket, but even then I can’t imagine there is that many variations from the standard ones used.

Though I could be wrong and just got lucky with the LEDs given to me.

I am also looking at these LED sealed beam lights as replacements for my upper flashers:

https://www.larsenlights.com/55-repl...t-lens-36-watt
Chongolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Do any of you know where to find LED lights that are affordable?
I'm looking to replace everything in the rear as well as all the flashers overhead but individually they seem to be anywhere from $55.00 to $165.
Weldon brand seems to be most popular amongst the bus garages because of long warranties but I was hoping to pick up an entire set for under $200. It doesn't seem possible so far but maybe someone has a good source?
I don't mind leaving the original in but was going to play with the flashers while camping and run them off my battery bank.
I wanted a cheap upgrade, so I switched out all the bulbs that had 1156 style bases with LED bulbs I found on Amazon. Basically was looking for a good price that was still well reviewed. I went with these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and they seemed to work out well to replace the interior dome light bulbs plus my single filaments in the back. But the bulbs are only as good as the fixture, and if the bulb throws the light in a way that makes the best use of the fixture.

I haven't gotten around to the 1157 or the wedge bulbs in the marker lights, but I will probably get around to doing something.

While replacing these bulbs, I did find out why I thought my backup lights were so weak, the wire for the backup light was pulling away from the bulb over the years and on the incandescent bulbs they worked intermittently and on the LED's they weren't working at all. I ended up putting some electrical tape around the base of the wire to not let it slip through the hole as easily and that seemed to resolve it for now.

I was a bit underwhelmed with the stock fixtures though as the interior was completely black. I was considering just hitting it with some silver paint to get some reflective from the back of the fixture. But with the problem I have already seen with the backup lights I have been thinking of upgrading to LED lights housings for the back lights, so the ones people referenced here were very helpful.

Anyone have a good reference for LED headlamps or maybe an HID upgrade. My headlights were horrible on the drive home so I upgraded to silverstar sealed beams but would prefer even better lighting if possible. I have heard some really bad review of the cheaper Chinese made LED headlights. Was wondering if anyone found ones that are better than traditional sealed beams without breaking the bank?
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I did a bulb and housing conversion on my red bus.. really easy swap.. its a navistar 3800 and used single rectangular 4054 / 6054 headlights..

I used these housings..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006309WA..._ste_e404_dp_1

these are the bulbs i used. the BARELY fit in the buckets in my hood.. but have had no issues in a year and a half or so and i log alot of night hours..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote