Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #1

Legal - conversion in OK

Does anyone know the laws to convert a bus in ok

IraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:33 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
This link here is in this forum if it works. Other Okie's have asked the same question. I got basically the same answer.

The title has to be in YOUR name before they will change it to an rv. I was TOLD by the Oklahoma tax commission to fill out a body change affidavit. The bus has to have "holding" tanks for it to be a motorhome/rv.

One tag office said it has to have a bathroom and then take it to them for inspection and needed to be done before the 30 day temp tag expired. Another tag office said I can get title in my name and black tag it till work is done and really didn't know much else but they are the one who helped me find someone in the tax commission to talk to. At that time they had no requirements for pictures or inspection. Not one person said anything about repaint or even school name removal. I have seen bus conversions here and they look like a school bus... Warning lights and everything. All that stuff goes away on my bus even if its not required. If the link does not work google Oklahoma school bus conversion laws. Should find the link there. Good luck and let me know what you end up doing.

What part of Oklahoma?

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/ok...nts-10049.html
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
When I did a box truck conversion, they wanted me to show them everything and I had to go to OKC to show them,funny thing they couldn't tell me how to get it there.
I'm from Poteau about 125 south and east of Tulsa....across the state line from Ft Smith Arkansas.
I love living in Oklahoma.most of the time they are very laid back..then they get some crazy idea..
Old 03-21-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoolydoo View Post
When I did a box truck conversion, they wanted me to show them everything and I had to go to OKC to show them,funny thing they couldn't tell me how to get it there.
I'm from Poteau about 125 south and east of Tulsa....across the state line from Ft Smith Arkansas.
I love living in Oklahoma.most of the time they are very laid back..then they get some crazy idea..
You'd be in the same boat on how to get it there but why did you have to go to OKC? I mean wouldt tag agency worked?

I know I know its gov. Like I said I talked with 2 diff tag agencys and 1 state person. The last two were the closest to same answer. If I call your area I'll get a 4th answer. But I think I'll leave it with what I have.

I'd have to agree with you on Oklahoma. Its a good place. I like that they make laws to give you more freedom but..... They do toss in some questionable ones too
Old 03-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
Skoolie

Where are you at?
The reason for OKC is they are the ones that make the finale decision. Local could do it.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Where are you at?
The reason for OKC is they are the ones that make the finale decision. Local could do it.
Woodward. I was told from 1 places they have to "see" there is at least a bathroom. The other called the tax commission and they are the ones that said I need to put that I have "holding tanks" on the body affidavit paperwork. Nothing about paint or warning lights or anything. No pictures needed.

How's the economy on your side of the state?
We are going but were have been hit. Companies shut down layoffs. Now everyone just trying to hang on. I was told Dec 2014 to Dec 2015 our county saw a loss of 67% in tax rev. That's a hefty hit.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
Nothing about paint or warning lights or anything.
If you do plan on travelling to other states, your best bet would be to remove the service lights, the STOP paddle(s), and repaint it. Not every state is cool with non-school buses School Bus Yellow and with paddle and markers in place.

Better to have done it and not need it, than need it done and not have done it.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
If you do plan on travelling to other states, your best bet would be to remove the service lights, the STOP paddle(s), and repaint it. Not every state is cool with non-school buses School Bus Yellow and with paddle and markers in place.

Better to have done it and not need it, than need it done and not have done it.
Very true. That's exactly what I was planning on doing.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post

How's the economy on your side of the state?
We are going but were have been hit. Companies shut down layoffs. Now everyone just trying to hang on. I was told Dec 2014 to Dec 2015 our county saw a loss of 67% in tax rev. That's a hefty hit.
About the same as your side, when I wasn't driving OTR I worked across in Arkansas
As they had bout all the mfg. plants around.
small town living is great, but you really do have to give up things,course
Most of them things you didn't need to start with..Lol

How far is Woodward from the city? Maybe you could get down and talk to the top dog about what needs to be done. All this "he" said "they" said really gets to me.
I ask one clerk, don't you'll have this stuff wrote down some place, and her answer was "well yeah but we don't know where to find it" go figure.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
About the same as your side, when I wasn't driving OTR I worked across in Arkansas
As they had bout all the mfg. plants around.
small town living is great, but you really do have to give up things,course
Most of them things you didn't need to start with..Lol

How far is Woodward from the city? Maybe you could get down and talk to the top dog about what needs to be done. All this "he" said "they" said really gets to me.
I ask one clerk, don't you'll have this stuff wrote down some place, and her answer was "well yeah but we don't know where to find it" go figure.
I know what you are saying. Only reason I went with one was because when they called the tax commission they cut the middle man out and just handed me the phone so I got it right from that lady. This info is just to change title from school bus to rv / motorhome. I figure I'll start with route and see how it goes. About 2 1/2 hrs (+-) from city.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:27 PM   #11
Skoolie

I am confused