Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 16
Legal paint

I have a question about paint color. Can someone point me to legaleze regarding changing the bus color from yellow to anything else? I haven't finished my conversion and haven't changed the paint color yet but want to be able to drive on the highway without getting arrested. Are there laws stating the bus must be repainted?

pharmboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: Legal paint

You live in IL, you won't get arrested, you will get shot on the spot. Check your state vehicle code online. You should be able to find out there.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Sec. 12-804. Other vehicles - Color, stop signal arm and identification. No vehicle other than a school bus shall be identified with the sign "SCHOOL BUS", shall be equipped with a stop signal arm, shall be equipped with a strobe lamp or shall be equipped with a warning lamp system as described in Section 12-805 of this Act. No commuter van or bus other than a school bus shall be painted national school bus glossy yellow or a color that closely resembles national school bus glossy yellow.
http://law.onecle.com/illinois/625ilcs5/12-804.html

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 09-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #4

Coachwork: AmTram / Genesis
Chassis: Flat Nose
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 66

A couple related questions - if the bus is registered in a state without a law about the color of a former school bus and is driven in a state with a law about the color of a private bus, are you (or the bus) subject to those laws?

Driving back from Nevada (Burning Man) to Washington, we crossed through the NE corner of California for all of about 50 miles. The local CHP ticketed me for having a yellow school bus. The bus is registered in Washington State as an RV. As far as I can tell, WA state does not require a former school bus to be repainted; clearly CA does. Is the ticket valid or can it be contested on the grounds that the bus is legal in WA state?

On top of that, I received the ticket even though I was not driving. I was actually following the bus in my car and we had pulled over to give the bus a breather when the CHP joined us. I mentioned that the bus was in my name and he wrote the ticket to me. Any know if the yellow bus law is considered a moving violation and thus might be grounds for getting the dismissed since I wasn't at the helm?

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience in this regard. This is my first post to this valuable resource. Thanks to Skoolie we were able to make an informed choice and purchase - so thank you all for all for sharing your hard won knowledge. Our pride and joy is a 95 Genesis - 32' flat nose AmTran. We bought it a few months ago and are in love with it, and excited about the future. She was slow up the big passes, but given the load on her, she did great - once we learned to take it easy.
mark_newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #5

Coachwork: AmTram / Genesis
Chassis: Flat Nose
Engine: DT466

A couple related questions on the topic of legal paint.
My bus is registered as an RV in Washington State. A few weeks ago I got a ticket in California for having/operating a yellow bus. Does anyone know if the ticket is contestable based on the fact that the bus is legal in it's registered state? Put another way, am I required to conform to the traffic code of all the states I drive in?

Second, a friend was driving the bus and I was following in my van. The CHP officer wrote the ticket to me, presumably because I identified myself as the registered owner. Hey better me than my friend, but on reflection, I'm wondering if that was correct and if not, is that might be grounds for dismissal?

Thanks all you Skoolies who help us make an informed purchase of our new bus. We're super excited about it. Thanks for sharing so much hard won information.
mark_newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 16

My guess would be "when in Rome you are subject to the laws of the Romans". I plan to drive in lots of states so will change the bus color to something legal.
pharmboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

For operation in California, the Vehicle Code States:

27603. When a motor vehicle formerly used as a schoolbus is sold to any person and is used exclusively for purposes other than the transportation of pupils pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 39830) of Chapter 5 of Part 23 of the Education Code, it shall be painted by the purchaser a color different than that prescribed by the Department of the California Highway Patrol for schoolbuses before it is operated on any street or highway other than to have the vehicle painted or moved to a place of storage.

You need to be different color here and before DMV will change the title on the vehicle to a housecar.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

BS YOU CAN HAVE IT ANY COLOR YOU WANT ,AS LONG IT DO'SN'T HAVE THE WORDS SAYING ,, (SCHOOL BUS ),,SO AL THIS B.S.. TELLING YOU SO.IS S**t

you got to have (school bus) off it,,,,,that all state's
so,, go paint it S**T brown or T*** pink

cal is srew up ????i live there for 10 yrs and was never stop by chp for the color of my bus YELLOW i guess they though i was a hippy

so don't paint your car or your vw bus ( yellow )
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8

My general contribution to this topic is under the thread "National School Bus Yellow:" viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18, so I won't repeat it here. Except that in brief I wanted enough yellow on the back (I think I'll use goldenrod, or something like Chevy Rally Yellow or Dodge Viper Race Yellow, so it isn't NSBY) with the words "SKUNKY BUS" in place of "SCHOOL BUS" to play mind games with drivers behind me. The rest of the rig, as the name implies, will be mostly black and white with a few "nature" colors as accents. Since this skoolie only exists in my head for an indeterminate time, feedback here may change my mind before I even get a bus.

I've seen several Nebraska non-school-bus skoolies in original NSBY even though it's illegal here (I have the full text on thread referenced above). I'm guessing that either the fines are cheaper than a tank of fuel (these days that's plausible) or that the Cornhusker State considers it a "secondary offense:" i.e., they only ticket you for having the yellow color only if they stop you for something else, like speeding.

As for the side stop sign, I thought it'd be fun to repurpose it as an access door for connection to either shore power or the fresh-water supply. Don't know how that'd work in reality, though. It'd be repainted in the body color and of course the red lights would have to go. Don't know how this'd work in reality.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

I just posted what the CA Vehicle code says. If there are those who want to shoot the messenger and insult the color of my bus, more power to them. Have fun paying the tickets if you get the cop who is having a bad day.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

browncrown,,i wasn't talking about your bus,,,sorry,,, but the fedral motor carrier said it can be any color has long it not saying school bus,i belive that the FMC takes over any state law,,CAL,, has some crazy laws...

i wish i still had my 59 crown

so iam sorry browncrown.....

keith
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

No problem Keith, I just know that here you are at the mercy of the officer that pulls you over, wether they know the law or not. It's not right, but they got the gun and they take advantage of that.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
i belive that the FMC takes over any state law
I think you will find that local laws ALSO apply. If you are going to drive in other states than your own, why chance it.
In Indiana, where I live, in order to get a title for anything other school use, you can not have ANY portion of it chrome yellow (name of school bus yellow), so the question of can I leave it yellow is a moot point. You can't get a title or license if it is yellow.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
If you are going to drive in other states than your own, why chance it.
In Indiana, where I live, in order to get a title for anything other school use, you can not have ANY portion of it chrome yellow (name of school bus yellow)...
Thanx for the info. Besides being between home and Skunk Haven (metro Cleveland), your state itself has plenty to offer the traveler. That tells me what I need to know: No chrome yellow for the Skunky Bus. Instead I'll use goldenrod, banana yellow, something different to the eye from NSBY.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus
[...Instead I'll use goldenrod, banana yellow, something different to the eye from NSBY.
It object is to make sure that a really dumb kid couldn't possibly think that you have a school bus. Why would you want it to be yellow anyway? I think you are asking for trouble. Half the cops are going to pull you over and check to see if you are a kiddy predator. Also the reason you have to get rid of all the school bus stuff.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus
[...Instead I'll use goldenrod, banana yellow, something different to the eye from NSBY.
It object is to make sure that a really dumb kid couldn't possibly think that you have a school bus. Why would you want it to be yellow anyway? I think you are asking for trouble. Half the cops are going to pull you over and check to see if you are a kiddy predator. Also the reason you have to get rid of all the school bus stuff.
I need to update my avatar!
Though it was fun to make up that picture (an altered eBay photo with only the word "SKUNKY" and some other minor changes to the original school bus), feedback here has helped me figure out how to make the design fit the constraints of the real world. Thank you. The part above the emergency door will likely be one of the colors below (accuracy depends on differences between your computer and the one I'm using). It will get lighter and lighter going past the rear windows, below which the "color" scheme will be NSkBB&W (National Skunky Bus Black & White)
Much as I wish to repurpose them as supplemental brakelights, the upper signal lights (if still present on the bus I buy) will have to go. The body sides will look like, well, a motor home that used to be a school bus.
Attached Thumbnails
yellow.jpg  
Old 06-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
BS YOU CAN HAVE IT ANY COLOR YOU WANT ,AS LONG IT DO'SN'T HAVE THE WORDS SAYING ,, (SCHOOL BUS ),,SO AL THIS B.S.. TELLING YOU SO.IS S**t

you got to have (school bus) off it,,,,,that all state's
so,, go paint it S**T brown or T*** pink

cal is srew up ????i live there for 10 yrs and was never stop by chp for the color of my bus YELLOW i guess they though i was a hippy

so don't paint your car or your vw bus ( yellow )

Is that directed at me?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

first. citizens can have guns. besides that for 80 bucks or so practically anyone can get a cc permit good for several states. dont know why, but it has something to do with the constitution...

second,.. haha.. even if reg's required a different color, there are so many shades of yellow (check the master paint chart) that a slight variation of the color would legally have to be considered a different color. then there is also the question does the cal color reg specify school bus only, and what exactly will define that, as some vans haul kids to school via the mom...

i think if ca has that reg, they could have a difficult time enforcing it...

i painted a guy's street rod with the school bus yellow 2 yrs ago.. im waiting for him to drive it from ashland, ore across the cal border so he can get pulled over... its a 31 ply coupe...
Old 06-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

In Ca don't use "National School Bus Glossy Yellow" It is forbiden. There is a move on nationally to cover the same color---and with good cause. I'm afraid--Uncle Pervo being what he is---! I Use Toyota "Sun Fusion Yellow" which came on the '07 Toyota FJ. I painted my TOAD this color and took it to the CHP and was assured that it would be OK on my '35 skoolie as long as it wasn't trimed in black or said school on it. I'm SURE I'd win in court as if it ain"t National school bus glossy yellow it ain"t National school bus yelllow!!!!---but I don't need to go to court and the battle isn't worth the fight!-----I'll still use the yellow but only as an accent. Cluck cluck you say---Oh Well.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

now post the florida definition of "bus".