Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Legalities of painting your bus outside.

Has anyone run into a problem with painting thier bus outside with a spray gun, using automotive paint. I was told there could be legal issues with doing that in the open, not in a spray booth. The toxic fumes and overspray had to be contained and filtered before getting into the atmoshpere. I really don't want to build a 40x12 plastic booth to paint my bus in. I don't think there would be a problem using the roller and brush method, but a spraygun could be a different EPA type issue. I have not checked into local ordinance on this. Don't know if there are state and federal guidelines.
I have built and painted several cars over the years in my garage and painted them there. Using mostly lacquer type or two part enamels. I would put up plastic on the walls and furnace filters in the windows, with suck fans. Never had any complaints. But those were not 40' long school buses.
My neighbors are already looking at me a little funny. Told one next door............."It's an RV, Clark"

Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Legalities of painting your bus outside.

A friend of mine does odd jobs for a variety of different companies. He lost a bid to paint the exterior of a local bakery. The wimmer was new to the game and didnt add in all cost. He forgot to add in the cost for a special "fall" additive. This additive helps the particles to "fall" whithin a specified distance. Long story, short, he got overspray on over 100 cars. Low bidder lost a lot of money.

But, It can be done, Use the proper paints and additives. Most farmers paint their equipment in the open, but away from things that can get operspary on. I plan on painting my tractor in the wide iopen on a nice day. I dont think you should have a problem. If you do plan to pain in a booth, you will need a fresh air breathing system. The chemicals in auto paint can cause one to stop breathing. Use caution.
kenfoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Depending on how close and what kind of neighbors you have you should not have problems, use an airless of HVLP spray system to minimize overspray, pick a windless day and have your neighbors help out by moving their cars upwind or inside the garage.

Talk to either a competent counter person at the painter's supply or a commercial painter and ask for theeir advice.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

I paint outside every day, but I also have 6 acres to play with.

Spraying something as big as a bus is not something to take lightly. If you are in a neighborhood and trying to do this, I would suggest to start off by roller painting the roof. First, find something smooth to practice a bit on. You want to mix your paint/reducer ratio to allow for fast drying, but not so fast that the paint doesnt "flow out", hiding any roller knap marks, not so slow/thin that you get runs. Mask off to a convenient body line or feature and start off with the mixture you figured out in practice.

Carry plenty of paint with you, and reducer too, not enough supplies on hand and you lose that "wet edge". If you can do an acceptable or good job with a roller on the roof, have at the sides! If not, the roof isnt as important as the sides, switch gears on your ratio or switch to spraying...and a whole new set of challenges.
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote