Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
Wasn't it Thoreau who wrote something about wood heating you twice, once when you cut it and once more when you burn it?

But I'm pretty sure Thoreau never encountered a tiny stove.

gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:16 AM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
Made this for a friend
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181117_132457924.jpg  
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Tomas
Engine: 7.3l
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonEagle View Post
Made this for a friend
Looks awesome I'd like to save time n buy one, but lately it seems I should just build my own, built everything else on my bus so myswell
Frogpondfoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Yes, that does look awesome. And there's a thread about woodstoves on this forum from earlier this year with a some posts from Yukon Cornelius about a woodstove that he built from propane tanks that might be very useful for people considering building their own stoves.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #25
Skoolie

This one has a propane tank for the bottom round and the rest is built out of flat plate. The door is reinforced and there is a baffle in it to make it more efficient and to strengthen up the box. It was built to preferred size and works great
Old 09-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Sounds good, please let me know when you start full production.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post

X2
Old 09-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Wasn't it Thoreau who wrote something about wood heating you twice, once when you cut it and once more when you burn it?

But I'm pretty sure Thoreau never encountered a tiny stove.
Thoreau basically lived in his buddy's yard a mile from town. He was to living in the wilderness as IKEA furniture is to Norm Abrams.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Thoreau basically lived in his buddy's yard a mile from town. He was to living in the wilderness as IKEA furniture is to Norm Abrams.
Agreed. It's been awhile since I've read Thoreau, but didn't he go to his mommy's house for dinner once a week?
Old 09-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #30
Bus Nut

It's also been a very long time since I read that book, but I think he did go home for dinner regularly. He was basically just a spoiled rich kid.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:20 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Next we're going to find out that Herman Melville went fishing at the Sea World trout pond.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #32
Skoolie

Quote:
I thought about it for a moment but found there to be too much red tape around uncertified woodstoves living here in Oregon.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
I thought about it for a moment but found there to be too much red tape around uncertified woodstoves living here in Oregon.
Insurance definitely looks down on them.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:48 PM   #34
Bus Nut

None of the small stoves I have seen on the market are EPA certified. They get around that by saying they are not for residential use, only recreational.

And someone I know got around the insurance company by removing the glass from a window and replacing that with a piece of sheet metal with an appropriate sized hole in it for the flue. He also made another piece of sheet metal without the hole for driving and any possible inspections.

I don't care much for this idea solely because of the 2 elbows required, which interferes with the draft. Also, I know from experience that burning wood that is just a little damp will make lots of creosote in a flue with 2 elbows and, depending on which way the flue was turned when it was installed, this can make a very stinky mess on the outside of the flue pipe.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #35
Skoolie

Quote:
None of the small stoves I have seen on the market are EPA certified. They get around that by saying they are not for residential use, only recreational.

And someone I know got around the insurance company by removing the glass from a window and replacing that with a piece of sheet metal with an appropriate sized hole in it for the flue. He also made another piece of sheet metal without the hole for driving and any possible inspections.

I don't care much for this idea solely because of the 2 elbows required, which interferes with the draft. Also, I know from experience that burning wood that is just a little damp will make lots of creosote in a flue with 2 elbows and, depending on which way the flue was turned when it was installed, this can make a very stinky mess on the outside of the flue pipe.
As far as keeping myself legal and safe, my research revealed that Oregon is one of the strictest states on operation and production of uncertified woodstoves. I read the guidelines for exemptions and couldn't find a way around them. If I were serious about production, I would likelly have to set up shop in a neighboring (east) state. I've thought about it, trust me
Old 09-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Ah, I don't know anything about the production of uncertified woodstoves, but that doesn't surprise me at all. The continued expansion of laws in Oregon designed to protect the populace from hurting themselves in every way the legislators can think of is one reason I am seriously thinking of moving to Nevada.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:09 AM   #37
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Corbiel
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 36 pass
Quote:
Made this for a friend
Nice Job! Like a lighter version of the Fisher stoves which were awesome but never certified.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:00 AM   #38
Skoolie

Certified stoves, ULC, CSA etc. should meet insurance requirements (you'd have to check on that).

EPA rating, which is all about emissions not safety, is usually a requirement by a province or a state.

I have a small near new EPA rated heater sitting in storage that I would like to give to someone who really has it coming! It's emissions are low because no one in their right mind would bother to use it. Junk!
The emission control crap uses up about a third of the fire box.. It's hell to light, only the finest kindling will do and you have to baby it for a half hour with the door open before topping it up. The design requires loading cross ways so if you get enough wood in it to last a couple of hours don't open the door or burning pieces fall out on the floor. How junk like this can get a safety sticker on it just floors me. I could modify it to work but that would void the certification.

It appears to me that if one needed EPA cert they would have to go to a medium sized stove or larger before it would be any use.

The junk stove is a Drolet Rocket https://www.drolet.ca/en/products/stoves/rocket/
Old 09-24-2019, 06:47 AM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Bird View Post
Certified stoves, ULC, CSA etc. should meet insurance requirements (you'd have to check on that).

EPA rating, which is all about emissions not safety, is usually a requirement by a province or a state.

I have a small near new EPA rated heater sitting in storage that I would like to give to someone who really has it coming! It's emissions are low because no one in their right mind would bother to use it. Junk!
The emission control crap uses up about a third of the fire box.. It's hell to light, only the finest kindling will do and you have to baby it for a half hour with the door open before topping it up. The design requires loading cross ways so if you get enough wood in it to last a couple of hours don't open the door or burning pieces fall out on the floor. How junk like this can get a safety sticker on it just floors me. I could modify it to work but that would void the certification.

It appears to me that if one needed EPA cert they would have to go to a medium sized stove or larger before it would be any use.

The junk stove is a Drolet Rocket https://www.drolet.ca/en/products/stoves/rocket/
First thing I'd have to do is grind off those hockey-playing kids.

I'm curious as to what effect the emissions-reducing stuff actually has in terms of reducing emissions, and on what types of emissions.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:20 PM   #40
Skoolie

Not a hockey fan EH? Well we have something in common.

Can't actually tell you how the make up of the emissions is supposed to change, generally the idea is to get a more complete burn and send less smoke up the chimney. One of the downsides is less airflow up the pipe causes more creosote buildup.

The design that Drolet uses brings air in from above the door, the smoke has to exit down under a baffle before it can escape. Not the way fire likes to do business.

Tags
cold, heat, wood