Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Rated Cap: 84
Lets talk bus/motorhome fires

Tygercubs emergency exit thread and my recent trip to a rv salvage has me really thinking. On my recent trip to the salvage I was able to walk the entire lot (about 400 motorhomes/trailers.) Of those 400 probably 90% of them were burnouts. Being a fireman, I was really interested in the cause of these fires. So I began to really pay attention as to where these fires started. I would say the majority of the fires appeared to be LP related. And of those LP fires the referigarator was the culprit.

Now I do realize those 400 rv's represent probably a 1 out of every 10,000 rvs on the road , but this just adds another reason to not install a LP powered rv frig. But Why do these fires so often start here? Improper ventilation is the only thing I can come up with. Does anyone else have any thought on this? I will be installing a 30,000btu furnace and a LP water heater and Have some concerns as to fire danger.

Discuss...

Chad

tfdfyrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24
Re: Lets talk bus/motorhome fires

I have always felt that propane was an outside gas. It is very dangerous in confined areas because when it leaks it tends to collect in lower, out of the way places until it is ignited.

When used indoors it needs to be plumbed with great care and done right.

The problem in RV's, buses, etc, is the vibration. Even the best plumbing job is subject to the vibration, which will, over time, affect things, and has the potential for a leak.

If you want propane in your bus, have it plumbed right, have it inspected regularly, and by all means, get an LP gas detector.

-Ray
Old 07-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

There is alot of information online about LP refrigerators causing fires. Dont remember where but not that long ago I found a website that went into detail on them. The gist of the website was to not install LP refrigerators.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60

I too have noticed a lot of R.V. fires in the salvage yards, and when I looked closer It seemed that they started in the refrigarator area. after asking around I was told that people that tow their R.V. with the fridge operating on L.P. . In doing this they would blow out the flame in the burner,then filling the vehicle with gas and then the auto ignition activate's causing the vehicle to burn. The moral of the story is before you move your R.V. make sure your reefer is switched to 110 v.a.c. or 12v.d.c. Also have a gas detector onboard with a smoke detector and fire exstingushers fore and aft. A fire can kill you and your loved ones. always beware of the danger of fire. Russell
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote