Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Lets talk insulation..

Hey guys...

So the wall cavity on my shuttle bus is right at 1". It used to have standard white foam insulation but it's all getting changed.

I was leaning towards 3/4 polyiso with a 1/4" air gap (should out perform 1" polyiso with no air gap)... but I wouldn't mind going thicker. The question is.. if I space out the interior panels say 1/2" or so.... Do the windows have enough room in the frames to still fit properly? It's a shuttle bus so it uses RV style windows which sandwich the wall panels. They are designed for ~1.5" overall thickness (2 1/4" panels and 1" of insulation/frame)... or would I be better off just keeping with the 3/4 board and air gap?

Most heat gain/loss comes from the roof anyways... so I'll over insulate the roof as there are no windows to be concerned with and such...

Thoughts?

Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
Hey guys...

So the wall cavity on my shuttle bus is right at 1". It used to have standard white foam insulation but it's all getting changed.

I was leaning towards 3/4 polyiso with a 1/4" air gap (should out perform 1" polyiso with no air gap)... but I wouldn't mind going thicker. The question is.. if I space out the interior panels say 1/2" or so.... Do the windows have enough room in the frames to still fit properly? It's a shuttle bus so it uses RV style windows which sandwich the wall panels. They are designed for ~1.5" overall thickness (2 1/4" panels and 1" of insulation/frame)... or would I be better off just keeping with the 3/4 board and air gap?

Most heat gain/loss comes from the roof anyways... so I'll over insulate the roof as there are no windows to be concerned with and such...

Thoughts?

First, you have to answer if you stuffed a 4BT into a Tahoe... Jeep guys sure ran the price of them little gems up.

Are you adverse to sprayfoam? Is superior fit. They sell DIY kits

https://sprayfoamkit.com/
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Yes indeed...

It's a 2003 Z71 Tahoe with a compounded 4bt backed by a built 4l80e. Its been a long term project of mine. Has been a driver for the last few years but isn't done. Needs a different rear end... head studs and more fuel.

Lots of fab work and time... but also a lot of fun.

Anyways.. as far as spray in, I could go that route but can do the polyiso cheaper... and its all flat square surfaces so fitment should be nice and snug other then the air gap I want to leave. The corners and such were already spray foamed by the manufacturer so all I have to do is the flat surfaces of the walls and ceiling.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
Yes indeed...

It's a 2003 Z71 Tahoe with a compounded 4bt backed by a built 4l80e. Its been a long term project of mine. Has been a driver for the last few years but isn't done. Needs a different rear end... head studs and more fuel.

Lots of fab work and time... but also a lot of fun.

Anyways.. as far as spray in, I could go that route but can do the polyiso cheaper... and its all flat square surfaces so fitment should be nice and snug other then the air gap I want to leave. The corners and such were already spray foamed by the manufacturer so all I have to do is the flat surfaces of the walls and ceiling.
Beautiful truck !!! Nice job, wow. I bet it's fun to fuel-up and have people come running " NOOOOOO !!! That's Diesel !!!"
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Gotta love those little four-bangers! Sweet!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Thanks guys. I say my favorite common comment is "Have you checked your oil lately?? Sounds like you've got a knock"... I kid you not. Lol

Its definitely been a fun project... but having a 7200lb 4x4 SUV on 35s getting over 20mpg average.. priceless.