Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Leveling your bus...

Anyone have any good ideas for leveling your bus on uneven rocky soil that sinks when it rains??? I am having a tough time keeping my bus level where it is parked & I use it everyday for an office... Sucks when the office chair rolls forward & ya get stuck against the desk!

Jonathan

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Leveling your bus...

Can you use cinder blocks and the "Chicago" approach? ...If it sinks, put another on top and use it till it sinks.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Bus Nut

I have cement blocks under the low side at the moment & on the upper side I broke out the shovel & dug a hole for the front wheel but it is just so hard to get it level...I guess I will just have to keep doing it till it stops settling... Damn bus is too heavy!
I need some 10 ton jacks maybe....
Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I was rethinking my idea... Get one of those auger-diggers from a rental place, some concrete/cement, and some of those round cardboard tubes. Dig big holes where the tires sit, drop a tube into the hole and back fill around it, fill with cement. I have no idea where bedrock is there, so I would suggest talking to someone in local construction for how far down to dig, or even if its the right idea.

But I would bet that if it does still sink, you could probably put another slab of cement on top of it to raise the height back up to normal... Or you might consider a concrete slab for the bus, but I think Smitty's gravel will probably be just as good and cheaper by far.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojakai
I was rethinking my idea... Get one of those auger-diggers from a rental place, some concrete/cement, and some of those round cardboard tubes. Dig big holes where the tires sit, drop a tube into the hole and back fill around it, fill with cement. I have no idea where bedrock is there, so I would suggest talking to someone in local construction for how far down to dig, or even if its the right idea.

But I would bet that if it does still sink, you could probably put another slab of cement on top of it to raise the height back up to normal... Or you might consider a concrete slab for the bus, but I think Smitty's gravel will probably be just as good and cheaper by far.
Now I like that idea with the tubes, thanks!... I think I woud have no problem doing that - my neighbor told me to add water any tie you are digging a hole, makes a huge difference. Mixing concrete for 4 rounds slabs makes alot more sense than the crap I have been trying...
Old 10-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
Bus Nut

It comes from watching many years of home improvement shows. I remember several episodes of both Hometime and This old Shack where they were putting up a deck. The dug the holes, dropped in the big tubes and filled around them, then dumped in shovel fulls of concrete till it was level with the top of the tube or just a little above it. But they always would level the tube in the hole before adding the concrete.

I have seen them do the same thing for sheds. But they would make them a bit smaller and at the corners and in the middle to support the base so it doesn't sink into the lawn.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

The tube idea is really cool. But are you going to be able to hit those little round spots every time you park the bus? You may need a forward barrier to touch to let you know when to stop.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

I still use stout boards and even a few of those RV-specific, plastic "Lynx" blocks which are slowly disintegrating with each season. (I'm actually surprised/impressed that a few have lasted as long as they have. I'm sure they are operating outside of their intended specifications.)

For a semi/permanent parking spot I would probably do a gravel pad.

But I can commiserate about being having the bus off-level and trying to use a chair on casters. It's funny at first, then...not so much.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
The tube idea is really cool. But are you going to be able to hit those little round spots every time you park the bus? You may need a forward barrier to touch to let you know when to stop.
I think I will be ok parking it as the Juniper tree in front of the bus is a great marker/barrier!
That & I don't think Buster is going to be moving a whole lot as I am building a frame to put the solar panels on the roof (non retracting) & the DSL cable is wired from the cabin to the bus so I can't do much with it while he is hooked up....

It's funny, I have 2 levels in the bus for front to back & side to side & I think I look at those levels as much as I look at the battery charge controller to see what my power is at... Obsessive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
If you seriously consider going this route, drill a few small holes in the Sonotube, place it in the ground, back-fill it, and alternate between pouring water & dry concrete mix in the hole, no need to mix, it'll absorb the water....that's how fence posts are set. I wouldn't use smaller than about 16" diameter.....not gonna be cheap, and if it's temporary, this won't be the most cost effective route.

If you're parking long-term, I'd locate the "pads" at spots under the frame, and use jacks to take the weight off the tires and suspension.

Smitty
I will be parked long term unless we sell Buster for a shortly & build a building for the business instead... At least with the pads I can use them to set the cabin up after the bus is moved... I was told that they lay water pipes only 18" deep here in the subdivison which I find shallow. You would think the freeze zone would be deeper... Wouldn't I have to go below the freeze line when making the pads?
I still like the jack idea as it takes the pressure off of the air bags & tires... Any suggestions on a good deal for 4 jacks?
Old 10-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

Maybe just drive it back and forth till its level enough to deal with. Then do it again tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day. And the.......