Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2020, 10:26 PM   #1
Almost There

Question List of rust belt states?

I did some searching and could not find a list of states that would be considered in the rust belt. Is there a list or thread discussing them?

Trying to figure out what states exactly to shy away from when searching for a bus.

RobOfYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:34 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Simplified, draw a line on a US map from Sacramento CA to Richmond VA and avoid anything north of that line, and mountain regions. Some of those use sand instead of salt and are rare exceptions.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:41 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobOfYork View Post
I did some searching and could not find a list of states that would be considered in the rust belt. Is there a list or thread discussing them?

Trying to figure out what states exactly to shy away from when searching for a bus.
If you use cheese wagon‘s method for determining where the Rust Belt states are you will miss out on two of the finest states for buying rust free vehicles. Those being Oregon and Washington. I have also gotten great vehicles from Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. I think a lot of people don’t understand that once you get west of the 100th parallel, one of the lines of longitude that runs north and south through North and South America, the climate in the US becomes much drier, And where it is dryer there is less rust. Just last November I bought a 2000 Ford F250 from eastern Montana that had an absolutely rust free body.
wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:51 AM   #4
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
If you use cheese wagon‘s method for determining where the Rust Belt states are you will miss out on two of the finest states for buying rust free vehicles. Those being Oregon and Washington. I have also gotten great vehicles from Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. I think a lot of people don’t understand that once you get west of the 100th parallel
I actually accounted for this here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Some of those use sand instead of salt and are rare exceptions.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:51 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I've heard that many Colorado buses (i.e. from mountainous areas) are nice for both the equipment (driveline) and low rust.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
dont draw a line and use that.. go by the bus itself and determine your use case for your bus and then determine an acceptable or unacceptable amount of rust..

ie if you plan to keep your bus for a lifetime and live in it then you'l want a pretty much rust free unit..

if its going to get driven once and parked in a field as a tiny home forever then really who cares.. you buiy whatever and you undercoat the whole thing and live in it..

if its a bucket-list bus that you plan to do a minimal conversion on, go on an epic 2 year road trip in and then sell it or scrap it then you can stand more rust as it doesnt need to last forever.

if its a primo- Glamper quality build that you p[lan to use and then sell for decent money then you want little to no rust..

busses are taken care of differently by different districts..

several really nices busses came out of indiana recently for CHEAP and they are high spec units with very little rust.. indiana is typically a SALT BELT state but this district runs many rural routes where the roads are sanded and not salted near as much so the busses didnt rust out..

ive seen some rust-buckets come out or portland oregon because they lived on the coast near the saltwater.. ive seen some 100% zero rust busses come out of the eastern part of oregon where its essentially desert..

so go by the individual bus.. if the seller wont send you pictures of the under-carriage chances are its a rust bucket they want to hide.. so run away and find another..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:07 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
I've heard that many Colorado buses (i.e. from mountainous areas) are nice for both the equipment (driveline) and low rust.
I bought two identical high spec buses from eastern Colorado, that proved to be the deal of the century. When I got them back to Wisconsin, I sold the better of the two and made enough of a profit to pay for 80% of the cost of the other bus which I kept. I never really understood how dry it is in the high plains of eastern Colorado until I went there to pick up these absolutely rust free buses.

wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Sure there will be exceptions to the rule in every rust belt state, just as there will be exceptions and bad buses from the dry areas. I would only look at buses in the rust belt if I could physically inspect it. I would take a chance, and have on 4 buses, bought unseen from areas that were "safe" and found rust free.
The PNW, while known for salt free lives, has started in the last couple years to use salt brines on the roads, it'll take awhile before it starts eating up the buses.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:46 PM   #9
Almost There

Thanks for everyone's input. What I'm trying to do is narrow down where I should be shopping for a bus. Since I am in south florida, I hope to find places to shop that are not to far away. I'm guessing to start out in the SE states and then expand west if needed?
Old 10-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #10
Traveling

I have heard through other members that Florida is not the best place to buy a bus. Might want to ask around about that.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:40 PM   #11
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
I have heard through other members that Florida is not the best place to buy a bus. Might want to ask around about that.
I heard the same. Thinking GA, SC, Alabama, TX etc... I'll still keep any eye out here in FL, I'll just have a good mechanic take an extremely close look at any I find locally.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:50 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
I heard the same. Thinking GA, SC, Alabama, TX etc... I'll still keep any eye out here in FL, I'll just have a good mechanic take an extremely close look at any I find locally.

In terms of states near-ish to you, I've noticed a lot a lot of buses for sale in Florida, Atlanta Area, and Texas. And if looking for conventional short buses (as I am), NC, TN, WV, GA and maybe SC seem to have a lot, FL also to a lesser extent.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:54 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Also relevant info here Wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Belt

Based on this map, Cheese Wagon's imaginery line would be semi accurate but only in the Eastern 1/3rd of the country.

Whole different ballgame out west--particularly the west coast (in terms of weather, humidity, and use of salt).
Old 10-12-2020, 04:13 AM   #14
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post
Based on this map, Cheese Wagon's imaginery line would be semi accurate but only in the Eastern 1/3rd of the country.

Whole different ballgame out west--particularly the west coast (in terms of weather, humidity, and use of salt).
Note, I said simplified, and I did note further that certain regions / states use sand rather than salt, which is something to research. Not taking offense, just reiterating.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #15
Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: PB105
Engine: VT365 6.0L v8 Diesel
Salt Belt, not the Rust Belt

What you're actually looking for is a list of states in the Salt Belt - the ones who use salt on their roads instead of sand. Not to say busses in other states won't be rusty, but they'll have far less of it than these ones:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Belt

edit: Didn't notice that dzl_ just posted the same link!
indigo_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo_k View Post
edit: Didn't notice that dzl_ just posted the same link!

Its good to have the picture posted directly in the thread too, many people won't bother clicking my link, and I love me a good map!
Old 10-17-2020, 10:48 PM   #17
Almost There

Thanks about the salt belt posts. That makes a lot of sense.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:28 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Just look at the bus. They even use salt in areas of California.

My truck is a rust-free 3/4 ton 4x4 that spent eleven years in Eastern Montana.
DWJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote