Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

Little help removing a heater and mystery lockbox!

Hello!

Been lurkin' for a minute, but now I need to post.

We've bought a 2003 Thomas Saf-T-Liner. On the port side under the very last seat - there is a... structure? It's got vents. I assume its part of the auxiliary heater because outside there is an access panel to storage box with... you guessed it, an auxiliary heater. It looks like there is a flexible pipe/hose that is unhooked and hanging down.

My question is - can I remove this? Its taking up lots of floor space and I'd like it gone.

The other issue is a lockbox towards the front of the bus also port side. Its got wires running into it - I've traced the wires to the front of the bus and I think its got something to do with a security camera that was installed on the bus. Has anyone else had experience with this? Its not alarmed or anything is it? I need it out as well.

I'll try to get some photos later today, I'm just at work right now.

Thanks for your input!

AmbleAnimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome AmbleAnimals

Pretty much everyone takes those rear heaters out, at least while working on the floors. Some people put them back in a more useful area of the bus, while others never put them back in.

Just make sure you at least loop the heater hoses. Someone else will have to identify the disconnected soft hose you were talking about. Pics help a great deal.

You've got the right idea. Take it apart, but save the pieces in case you change your mind.

Are you tearing out the floors?
Old 03-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
that outside box with a heater is likely a Webasto diesel-fired aux heater.. it is deisgned to either warm up the bus engine before you start it, or to help the interior heaters stay warm while driving.. the metal flex pipe is likelty the exhaust for said heater..

you can take it out if you know you'll never want it.. it CAN be a source of interior heat in winter for your bus when the engine is turned off.. kind like a mini-furnace..

if you take it out keep in mind there are likely diesel fuel hoses you'll need to trace back and cap off so you dont leak fuel..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
that outside box with a heater is likely a Webasto diesel-fired aux heater.. it is deisgned to either warm up the bus engine before you start it, or to help the interior heaters stay warm while driving.. the metal flex pipe is likelty the exhaust for said heater..

you can take it out if you know you'll never want it.. it CAN be a source of interior heat in winter for your bus when the engine is turned off.. kind like a mini-furnace..

if you take it out keep in mind there are likely diesel fuel hoses you'll need to trace back and cap off so you dont leak fuel..

-Christopher
And if you are taking it out, test it first. There is a pretty good market right here for them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #5

OKAY!

Sorry it took me so long to update this - couldn't actually get out there to work on thing until yesterday.

This is a link to an IMGUR album with some photos.

Heater and Lock Box - Album on Imgur

The lock box was easy enough to take care of once I figured out what it was.

Ive gotten all the hose housing off for the heater. There are 3 points where the hoses go under the bus - the very back - the middle (down to the heater?) - the front.

There is what looks to be a 1 shut off valve at the back of the bus in the engine compartment...

I assume there is coolant in these hoses? I just don't know I'm at such a loss on this one.
AmbleAnimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yup, there's coolant in them there hoses, or at least there should be. The valve near your engine block is so you can turn off the flow of coolant to the heaters in throughout the body of the bus during the summer.

You sure can remove those heaters. If you want to save your coolant, if it's new, you should get about a five gallon container to catch the fluid in as you disconnect the hoses. Usually there is only about three gallons of coolant that comes out but it's better to be prepared in case there's more.

Those heaters are fastened down pretty well and can be a pain to get out. I loosened the heater housing first and then pulled the hoses off the heater core tubes. It can be messy if you're by yourself so have a few towels ready.

I've got to ask why you'd take out all your heaters except for the dash heaters? I know summer's coming, but it's surely going to get cold again. I took my rear heater out last summer but the space it took up was minimal being in the rear corner. It could easily fit under a counter or table, so I'm thinking of hooking it back up. It was a pretty rough winter here this year and I was wishing I had a little more heat, especially in the rear of the bus.

My point is that as you build your bus you will find places where you could stash a heater within your build. It's just another backup system for heat. You do have backups for your backups don't you?