Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
Living W/ Engine Hatch on Inside of Bus

Hi! I just bought a bus! 1995 Bluebird, 54 passenger, automatic. Here are some more numbers about it: Model TC2000, 5.9L Cummins engine.

And the engine door is inside on the floor at the top of the stairs! I'd love to talk about that part:

-Floor plan examples to accommodate living with this big manhole cover thing in the floor

-Fancy up the cover of it somehow maybe kinda

-If I put in a woodstove will my house explode

-Does it suck more than I anticipate to be sitting on your living room floor to check the oil dipstick or whatever

Also I bought it with the understanding that I need to do something about the exhaust leak from the manifold. Thought it was gaskets, then after the guys delivered it (different guys than the ones at the barn when I looked at it), it was explained that actually no there's a slight crack in the manifold, and also the bolts were overtightened to the head & the bolt-holes there on the head have been welded but the welds are failing. I'm not planning to drive it much if often, and I anticipate dropping quite a lot of money into the engine/tires/stuff before attempting to make a trip.

I was like "sweet I can sit inside my kitchen and eat a sandwich while I take the manifold out that sounds fun" but now I'm like "dang this thing has overheated in the past / it's a lemon / my bus is gonna explode."

Here are some pictures:

elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot_peas View Post
Hi! I just bought a bus! 1995 Bluebird, 54 passenger, automatic. Here are some more numbers about it: Model TC2000, 5.9L Cummins engine.

And the engine door is inside on the floor at the top of the stairs! I'd love to talk about that part:

-Floor plan examples to accommodate living with this big manhole cover thing in the floor

-Does it suck more than I anticipate to be sitting on your living room floor to check the oil dipstick or whatever

Also I bought it with the understanding that I need to do something about the exhaust leak from the manifold. Thought it was gaskets, then after the guys delivered it (different guys than the ones at the barn when I looked at it), it was explained that actually no there's a slight crack in the manifold, and also the bolts were overtightened to the head & the bolt-holes there on the head have been welded but the welds are failing. I'm not planning to drive it much if often, and I anticipate dropping quite a lot of money into the engine/tires/stuff before attempting to make a trip.

I was like "sweet I can sit inside my kitchen and eat a sandwich while I take the manifold out that sounds fun" but now I'm like "dang this thing has overheated in the past / it's a lemon / my bus is gonna explode."

Here are some pictures:

Hugs...but welcome to the adventure

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
That's a very common model and a very common setup. So to answer your questions....

Many people draw a line behind the driver's seat where the "house" part begins. You don't really want to put things on top of it, because like it or not you will be needing access to your engine area relatively often.

Heat and noise will come through it. COvering it with just about anything will help. Soe people put insulation on the underside of the lid, soe people put carpet on top of it. Lots of options.

Why would it explode? If you're thinking diesel fumes or something, you obviously don't want to have a fuel leak but all the other electrical stuff would surely ignite them before a wood stove would.

Not at all, but then most people are putting the living room a couple feet farther back.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
I made a flat platform on the engine cover with molding around the edge so stuff won't fall off while driving. When parked and if needed I put the portable AC or evap. cooler on it. Vent the AC out the driver's window. The cover opens as before, our cockpit is part of the living area.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
As noted above, building a removable cover/surround over the doghouse can make a huge difference in noise & heat. Add some insulation to the inside and cup holders on the outside and rock on.

And you can very likely find a replacement manifold at a big truck wrecking yard for a fraction of a new one. Tons of those engines around.

Welcome & best of luck with it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
As noted above, building a removable cover/surround over the doghouse can make a huge difference in noise & heat. Add some insulation to the inside and cup holders on the outside and rock on.

And you can very likely find a replacement manifold at a big truck wrecking yard for a fraction of a new one. Tons of those engines around.

Welcome & best of luck with it.
Big truck wrecking yards exist?! Oh this is gonna be fun.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Big truck wrecking yards = Kid + Candy Store.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I ran into some folks that bought heavy rubber stall mats from tractor supply and, very neatly, covered the doghouse with them and upholstery fabric.

The end result was attractive and, according to him, reduced the engine noise significantly.

Regarding your woodstove: Diesel does not give off potentially explosive fumes the way that gasoline can. Be careful to do a proper installation of the woodstove. Just like you would at home. Same with your propane system if that is part of the plan.

I have seen numerous buses with woodstoves and have yet to hear of one causing a fire.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I ran into some folks that bought heavy rubber stall mats from tractor supply and, very neatly, covered the doghouse with them and upholstery fabric.

The end result was attractive and, according to him, reduced the engine noise significantly.

Regarding your woodstove: Diesel does not give off potentially explosive fumes the way that gasoline can. Be careful to do a proper installation of the woodstove. Just like you would at home. Same with your propane system if that is part of the plan.

I have seen numerous buses with woodstoves and have yet to hear of one causing a fire.
This is extremely reassuring, thank you. I have a salamander stove I bought a couple of years ago when I committed myself to some kind of tiny house, and I feel good about installing it.