Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 25' Bluebird
Engine: T444
Rated Cap: GVWR 27,500
Looking for a good driver's seat

After crossing the country a few times on this janky-ass seat, I would really love to find a fabulous captain's seat that is comfortable to sit in during those long driving days. Any suggestions?

gabrielah77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Maybe a good Bostrom seat from a road tractor? Check truck salvage yards. Or a captain's seat from a conversion van?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Maybe a good Bostrom seat from a road tractor? Check truck salvage yards. Or a captain's seat from a conversion van?
I second this. Factory driver's seats for most school buses are not that comfortable even when new, and you can probably score a good used one from a wrecked semi for less than you'd pay for a new one from Blue Bird or Thomas, etc. Plus if you have air brakes already, you can upgrade to air-ride seat if not already equipped, just takes a little work to run the lines.

I'm not a fan of Volvo trucks, but they do put a lot of thought into their interiors. Some of their driver / passenger seats swivel with a latch to lock them into position.

Lots of space-saving ideas can be gleaned from these big rigs, something I've mentioned in another thread concerning interior appointments. Especially Volvo. Not to mention you may run across the occasional 10-20 foot super-sleeper with all kinds of goodies in it, they are nicer than some apartments if not ripped open and exposed to the weather from a bad crash.

I found Freightliner's factory seats in their Cascadia line to be quite comfortable, as well as Paccar's factory offerings in their newer trucks (Peterbilt / Kenworth).
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
And I third it.

In my first bus I swapped the ugly utilitarian air seat for a pretty ultraleather Flexsteel seat.

Huge mistake! And one that I was reminded of every time I had to drive more than a couple of hours.

I have seen very nice air seats out of late model semis for as little as $175.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote