Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #1

Looking for advice about first bus

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I are looking into getting a bus to convert. We found a bus that we really like and need some advice on whether or not it is a good deal. It is 2003 Ford E350. The body has 350,000 miles but the engine was just swapped from the 6.3L to the 7.2L and has 34k miles on the engine. The person selling has some service records from the things she has done to it (Alternator, AC replacement, etc..) but not all of the records. I have gotten her down to $6,800 for it.

Any advice on the bus overall would be greatly appreciated as this is our first time getting to view a bus!

Jvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig View Post
Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I are looking into getting a bus to convert. We found a bus that we really like and need some advice on whether or not it is a good deal. It is 2003 Ford E350. The body has 350,000 miles but the engine was just swapped from the 6.3L to the 7.2L and has 34k miles on the engine. The person selling has some service records from the things she has done to it (Alternator, AC replacement, etc..) but not all of the records. I have gotten her down to $6,800 for it.

Any advice on the bus overall would be greatly appreciated as this is our first time getting to view a bus!
Initially I'd say sketchy. It was just swapped, but already has 34K on it. Also, I don't think Ford had a 6.3 or a 7.2 in the diesel variety. They do have a 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7, in that age order. Both varieties of the 7.3 were good. The 6.0 and 6.4 are definitely NOT good. The 6.7 is still to new to have great data on it. I don't know the bus engine options as well, but this definitely holds true in the truck line up. There are so many other things to consider as well. Rust issues being the main one. Most definitely need to find out what engine it has. You couldn't pay me enough to take a 6.0, absolute junk!
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
The OP asked for advice before buying their skoolie. They might actually appreciate the heads up prior to spending hard earned cash on a bus that might have come with a weak powerplant, that is well documented to have reliability issues.

People giving their honest reality based opinions on something is definitely not "BASHING", especially since it is not directed at someone in a personal manner.

You've not been on the site very long Be Nimble, so I'd advise you to do yourself a favor and research the myriad of Ford diesel engine issues discussed in many threads on the site before "LASHING OUT" at someone for expressing their opinion regardless if you agree or not...

Feel free to flame on me if you feel like it, (though I'll warn you ahead of time: I've got tough skin), as I've only been on the site since early last year. We're always learning.
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
HEY, CAN YOU STOP WITH THE Skoolie BASHING for those with 6.0s?
Not bashing skoolies, just the 6.0

Quote:
Are you so self-rightous you spit on 6.0 Skoolies?
Not spitting on skoolies, just the 6.0

Quote:
I think you need to be reported to the Moderator.
Report away....

I must have hit a nerve.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Looking for advice about first bus

I must have hit a nerve.[/QUOTE]

6.0Nimble
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:23 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig View Post
Hey everyone,

Swapping to a different engine sounds very fishy as they're not usually quick and cheap swaps due to different harnesses and transmissions. The displacements don't sound right either.

Check the emissions label under the hood for what engine the bus came with, then look for the oil filter. If it's just a normal huge spin on filter, then you're looking at a 7.3l. If there is a nut on a plastic oil filter housing, then you're looking at the far less desirable 6.0l and you should read up more on the 6.0l before you decide to purchase the bus.

If the bus isn't loud like a diesel should be, you're looking at a gas engine (4.6 v8, 5.4 v8, or 6.8l v10).

Price sounds fair for a minibus if it's a 7.3l and not a rust bucket.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:07 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
With 350,000 on the chassis the front end could be pretty well worn out. Or could have been rebuilt. I would suggest jacking it up and checking ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link. Basically all steering components.

Must say I am curious about the engines, the numbers just do not seem right, but I am not real knowlegable on engine options on Fords.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote