Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 97
Coachwork: Me!
Chassis: BB
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 44
Looking for best deal on RV door/windows

Anyone got the "hook up"? Oh ya, need them shipped to 99506 Alaska btw. Looked on ebay, $48 door, $304 in shipping. Dealers want $500 plus shipping, Looking for rounded top RV door/screen/frame and tinted or clear slider windows with screens and interior mounting frame. Mounting depth doesn't matter as I can build the walls to whatever thickness. Need an assortment of sizes.

Thanks!

Ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Looking for best deal on RV door/windows

might be cheaper to buy a few used campers in AK and strip them, then sell off duplicate parts
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:39 AM   #3
Almost There

Good luck finding any. People in AK seem to use them til they are trash or sell them at 2 yrs old and ask more than they were new. Also, issue is time and space. I live on base and have no room to store a "parts" rv or any rv for that matter. As of now I'm spending $50 a month to store my bus. The other issue is time. I return in Jan and can start the conversion. We are headed out in Jul, and in that time I need to get a kid off to college, another off to the military and prep an entire household for a PCS move.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:17 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74

Call the local towing companys. They get stuck with old rvs on a regular basis. As rvs have no scrap value until broke down they are worthless. There is one in particular along the parks hiway that should be very helpful.
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
Bus Geek

they are charging you storage on base?is that an AK thing or is it new?

While stationed at Bliss and Knox we could store projects at the "auto shop" and then "rent tools" and work on our stuff free, all we payed for was things like oil, grease and cleaners...of course that was a long time ago

any idea where your going next or are you ETS'ng?

edited, didnt see PCS
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Absolute best deals are going to be in the Elkhart, Indiana area. There are at two places in southern Michigan that have hundreds of windows to choose from. Real kicker is, like you said, getting them to Alaska. There is a downloadable list of the RV surplus yards on my website here.

http://somewhereinusa.x10.mx/surplus.html

Bontragers and Johnsons have the most windows and best prices. Don't know if giving them a call would do you any good or not. I know that Bontragers has a web presence but don't know
what it is, I think it may be an Ebay store. Johnsons is closed on Saturday for religious reasons but are open on Sunday.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
Almost There

Thanks for the reply's, didn't think of the towing companys, I'll give them a try. I pay $43 a month for a 35' spot. Just went up 26% last year since that is the only thing that makes any money on base. Not sure where I'm going next, more than likely overseas or to port heuneme Ca.

Thanks for the links, I'll give them a call as I would rather have new as all the used ones I've seen are junk. I just threw out a bunch of windows that I "wasn't going to use" lol. But all the seals were junk, shrinking etc.