Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #1

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: RE 300
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Looking For Metal Worker Near IL

Hey all! Quick intro - My wife and I are converting a 40ft IC diesel pusher from the Midwest. Unfortunately, it has a few rust issues. We've had to replace the back wheel well area completely with new beams and are ready to weld in new sheet metal. We also have to do the same for the front wheel well, stairs, and driver's seat area (and eventually storage boxes underneath). Our buddy that is an experienced welder has been helping us up until now, but due to life circumstances, we need to find someone else that can help.

Is there anybody with experience converting skoolies or is a decent welder near Illinois that could help us? I'll attach the work that I mentioned above.
Attached Thumbnails
20200530_154416_HDR.jpg  

rodanste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Welcome to skoolie.net. If you want more from the site than just a welder recommendation, click User CP in the upper left and edit your details, then people here will know where you're at and what kind of bus you have.

Your floor looks somewhat familiar, as I had to rebuild the same floor area in my bus. You can check out my build thread for details; here's more of a summary of the floor rebuild: https://imgur.com/a/Vp4Xpv6

What you have there looks good and solid. I have no doubt you could pick up a cheap Mig welder and weld on the sheet yourself, after a little bit of practice. Or at the very least, you could tack things together and then drive to a welder to do it up fully (way cheaper than mobile welders).
Old 07-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #3

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: RE 300
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Hey Musi! Thank you for the info - that's super helpful.

Nice job on your rebuild so far! I've never seen a bus build with similar rust problems as ours (or at least someone that documented it). Glad to be in the same boat

I'll try learning some welding in this time since we haven't found anyone else that can help. Thanks for the recommendation.
rodanste is offline   Reply With Quote