Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 10:25 PM   #1

Looking for the right size/style bus

I joined this site to try and find information on what would be the best option for me and to see if I am looking in the right direction. I did a search but I am looking the proper terms I assume because although I did find information it fell short of what I was hoping for.

I'm not sure what area I should have placed this in so I do apologize if I need to move it.

Anyway, I have 6 kids, ages 3 to 13. and like to go camping. So we have a 37' camper that weighs in just under 10K loaded. We currently have a 03 Ford Excursion Diesel and it has worked great for us. But I have been considering whether or not a small bus would be a nice upgrade to allow for more storage but also more room for the kids.

So I came across on 2008 International bus, which I think is around a 15 or so passenger bus, I'll see if I can post a picture of what it looks like. It has the vt365 (basically a 6.0 powerstroke) which is fine, both my excursion and f250 have that same engine. But what I am more curious about is the capability to put a hitch in the bus and tow the camper. Just seems to be so hard to find the weight ratings for this stuff short of asking the seller.

Feel like if I get something much bigger it will be a hassle at campgrounds.

My search yielded people that are happy with the bigger buses or that have the van/cutaway type style, sorry I don't know the proper name, but didn't come across anyone with this style of bus, which perhaps is a bad thing?

Anyway, hope someone can provide some input, good, bad, or whatever would be helpful.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
2008 International.jpg  

mach158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:34 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Welcome.

I assume when you said you have a 37' camper you meant a trailer that you pull with your truck/suv.

I can't remember the persons name on here, but he has the same situation as you, a lot of kids and a travel trailer.

He bought a shuttle bus (like an airporter type bus) and he tows his long trailer with it.

So, that means there are at least two of you in this world.

School buses (most buses) were not meant for towing, so there wouldn't be much need for tow ratings. That said, they are made for heavy loads and the diesels are perfect for pulling (as I'm sure you know).

Many school buses are similar to trucks that do tow, like dump trucks, delivery type trucks, etc. Think U-Haul trucks pulling a car or a U-haul trailer. That might be a way to connect the dots of a buses towing capacity.

The "other" guy says if he has any kind of heavy load (besides his travel trailer) to pull, he always uses his shuttle bus because it tows so well.

Hope this helps.