Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #1

Looking to remove ac units

Hello,
New skoolie owner my bus is an 06 international handicapped 30' bus with a dt466e. It came with two interior ac units and front dash vents. So it has two giant fans bolted to the underneath for each unit. I'm wanting to remove them cause they take up a ton of space and probably not near efficient enough for what I'm wanting. Has anyone been able to keep the front ac for driving but removed the large rear ones? I am needing to remove the freon from the systems so I can take these out. I might have some other mechanical work to do as well.

Does anyone know of anyone in the central TEXAS/Austin area that does good bus work for a reasonable price? Possibly a mobile mechanic would be ideal.

Gooose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Transcendence is a traveling bus builder. Not sure of his prices / payment arrangements. But I would strongly advise keeping your A/C units. Especially in TX. But also, many a tale of woe on here of people who removed heaters and A/C just to have problems later as a direct result.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Yeah, what he said[emoji667][emoji667][emoji667]

I know, you plan on traveling to cooler places in the summer, but as you know there is a whole lotta Texas between you and cooler places.

I’m from the Deep South. I have 2 units and full ductwork, both sides. No upper cabinets. Just ductwork. I’m happy on Aug 15, 3pm, full sun, New Orleans, 95 degrees, 90% humidity. The problem is that ppl behind be think I’m emptying my tanks with all that humidity/condensation running out of my drain tubes.[emoji13][emoji13]

I’m just trying to help. Good luck!

Peace
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
your A/C.. heres how that worls.. your front ceiling evaporator and your dashboard unit share one compressor and one of the underskirt condensors.. your rear system has 1 or 2 ceiling evaporators and the other underskirt condensor..

we could remove the rear system easily completely separately and not affect the other.. but you still need one complete system to run the dash air..

I would absolutely not destroy the front system.. if you plan to drive in anything above 80 degrees or in the hot rain.. your little minisplits or camper units arent goingto keep your bus nice n cool inside while driving.. just arent..

if you are well insulating your bus you can likely cool most of the bus with just the one compressor, condenser, dash air and one interior evaporator..

if you are lesaving it mainly stock (not gutting the walls and spray foaming, removing and replacing windows with RV windows, etc.. then you'll have a tough time cooling with one system..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
your A/C.. heres how that worls.. your front ceiling evaporator and your dashboard unit share one compressor and one of the underskirt condensors.. your rear system has 1 or 2 ceiling evaporators and the other underskirt condensor.. I would absolutely not destroy the front system.. if you plan to drive in anything above 80 degrees or in the hot rain.. your little minisplits or camper units arent goingto keep your bus nice n cool inside while driving.. just arent..

-Christopher
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200915_053842.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	49135
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:56 PM   #6

Thanks I think I'll leave the front unit and try and build it in to use for travel. I just don't have the interior space to keep both.
Gooose is offline   Reply With Quote