Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2019, 04:24 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Long story to come when I get home. It's 3am, I'm at a hotel in Twin Falls, Id. and will be back later than expected. All of you worried about blowing up the C7, have no worries, I found out on my own it is governed to 67mph, which means a longer time than I planned to get it home. Good bus, tell all about later. Nice driving a full day withut having to stop for fuel (100ga.)

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:14 AM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Enjoy the trip. Good weather for it. I’d be enjoying bringing a rust free bus home to the East.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:26 AM   #43
Skoolie

Chassis: 2000 Int Amtran
Engine: DT466HT
Rated Cap: 84
Adventures, you gotta love them.
MacC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Enjoy, the return trip home is always lots of fun (assuming no mechanical issues). Its a great way to get aquainted with a bus.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
67 is a good speed for a school bus... not 80!

safe travels and may that bus run like a top all the way home..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:47 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
I came home with mine less than 2 weeks ago and I love 67 mph. At 71 mph I was starting to freak out.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:56 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
I now want a FL prison bus. They go upwards of 90!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:02 AM   #48
Bus Geek

Okay, here goes. Great bus so far, but a nightmare of a trip so far. I have a friend take me to the MARTA station and an almost hour ride to the airport to get to my gate an hour early, only to find my plane is delayed a half hour. What will I do for an hour, play on the laptop. Look in my bag and the lap top is not there.I apparantlyleft it in one of the security bins. I think I have enough time to go back and get it, knowing I have about 1-1/2 hours till boarding. Keep in mind this is at Atlanta/Hartsfield Airport, the busiest airport in the world. After the long checkin process, you get on marta train that takes you about a mikes to the terminal. My terminal D1A, good, the first one in the terminal, D being the furthest terminal. Wrong, 18 terminals, D1A is the furthest one. I hate lugging my carryon with 2 shoulders that need replacing.
So off I go, back up the terminal, back through the TSA long line again and check my bags and go through xray and find the security to look for my lap top, they don't have it on the list. "are you sure you came through TSA and not Northside check in.?" Ah , no. So back out again, head to Northside checkin and go through the long lines again. For sure I'm about to miss my flight.TSA asks are my pockets empty. I reach and find the battery stick for my Vape pen. He says what's this. I tell him and he says I think this needs to go through xray. So he tosses it into a bin at the back of the line where I wait for 10 peoples bins to come through to get my battery. I then head to the security counter for my lap top. Agent asks what brand and what does it look like.I say a Black Lenovo. He goes to a bin with about 10 laptops, I'm not the only idiot, and find mine is the second one in the bin. I say "if you power it up the screen will have my name, and I showed him my DL. Fire it up, sees my name and insists I log on before he would release it to me, Really? That's my name right there, still insisted, so I do and off I go back to the train to my far away terminal to find the plane has not even arrived yet, We end up leaving an hour late. I have a 1 hour layover in Denver I will surely miss. Turns out the connection flight was the same plane and crew, just had us deplane so they could clean and reboard us. I chose a Hotel in Portland that had shuttle servicefrom the airport, 3 miles away. I specifically told them I would arrive after midnght ona 12:05 ETA. Thier shuttle quits at 1am, unbeknownst to me. I get out to the shuttle station to see my hotel not on the list, so I call the operator to find out aout shuttle to my hotel. They say they will call them and have them come for me, go stand out on island #1 and wait for it to arrive. Its after 12:30am and I'm standing in freezing Portland waiting on a ride. After half hour I call back and ask if they are coming for me? They say "No, they stopped service early tonight. Well what the hell am I suppose to do? We need to get you a Taxi. OKay, who's paying for that. Well you will. No Howard Johnsons will. I get in tha cab, I notice the meter starts at $6.50 and as we pull off it quickly goes to $6.60-$6.70, and he reaches up and turns the meter off. I really didn't think much of it at the time, just wanted a warm bed at that point. My bag is in the trunk, we get to the hotel, 3 miles away. What do I owe you? $40. $40, wtf , 3 miles? Wouldn't give me my bag till I paid. Made him right a receipt for the hotel to reimburse me. Get to the hotel and another couple there bitching about the same thing, they tell me the driver wasn't feeling good and went home before midnight. I called the cab company, asked how much it would cost to go 3 miles from the airport. They said about $25. I told them their driver was charging $40 and ripping you off by pocketing all the money and not registering it on the meter.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:31 AM   #49
Bus Geek

Did I mention this story would be long?
Next morning get up to check out, in the lobby the discussion comes up and a random guy listening finally offers to take me to the bus after I asked the easiest way to get to Beaverton. Nice , guy dropped me at the office door.
So The school had everything ready to go, signed the papers and went over the bus. He says "I found out the oil pressure gauge is wonky. I think the needle slips on it's pin as it works sometimes, then jumps around and goes to 0. But don't worry, if there were no oil pressure, there would be a warning light on, and also the HUEI system will not allow it to start if no OP, so just needs a gauge. I'm not concerned. Must have had several drivers of this bus, had 7 sets of keys, including the key for the locking front door, pic tomorrow. I check out as much of the bus as I can. No tachometer, that's strange. I small storage bin, 100g tank, no criuse control, no armrests. The rest is in very good shape. I fill up the almost empty tank and hit the road. Immediately find a 67mph govern, ouch. Yes it's a safe speed, but that doesn't mean 80 is not, in itself, unsafe.
I think, well this is going to take longer to get home, not being able to at least run the legal speed limits, never had so many drivers pass me.100 gallon tank makes for a nice long day without having to stop for fuel. Unfortunately, when I filled up it averaged 7.1mpg at that governed speed, OUCH, that's gonna add a few more $100 dollars to the tab. Got a late start so only got 600 miles in. Show up at the hotel at midnight after my brother booked the room 2 hours before, letting them know my ETA. I'm pretty good at ETA's I an arrive by the minute of my ETA after 6hours. Go in the hotel lobby and find a sign on the counter "Will Return Momentarily" I wait about 20 minutes bfore the young kid shows up, had a few words and got to y room. Turn the TV on a plan on winding down. No TV, call the front desk am told they are having an issue and the cable is down. What, a room with no TV, that's not what I paid for. Take it up with managment later, same as the taxi issue that they said they would not reimburse me. I reminded them I paid with a CC and did not get what I paid for and if they did not refund the cab fee, I would dispute the whole room charge, you decide. I locked myself out of my room with no Tv and had to go back to the kid to get another key and make up a bit after our little spat earlier. It's at this point he tells me in confidence that their manager had a beef and quit and didn't pay the cable. He had a whole hotel full of pissed off people and mentioned if I complained to management they would reiburse, we'll see.
So I am currently in Steamboat Springs, Colo. Gonna hit up a Colo. dispensery on the way out early tomorrow and try and put in at least a 12 hour day and see if I might just drive on through. C7 getting only 7.1 is killing me. I suspect this tank I fill in the mornign may be worse, as I don't have the ame mileage on the tank as I should. Get about 200 miles between tank quarters, last 1/4 is a short one though. Found decent weed at a dispensery in Portland for $90 an ounce, OMG. I didn't get any of that as they would limit you to a total of 1 oz. I bought an ounce of some better and a vape cartridge for $190.

The heaters in this bus are not very adequate when it is cold outside, and yes, it's freaking cold here.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191102_000805299.jpg  
Old 11-02-2019, 03:26 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Did I mention this story would be long?

Yes, I seem to recall you mentioned this. Thank you for relating your travel story thus far.

Do be careful crossing state lines with your newly purchased dispensery products!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:25 AM   #51
Bus Geek

Glad you found some decent smoke out there.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:21 AM   #52
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Yes, I seem to recall you mentioned this. Thank you for relating your travel story thus far.

Do be careful crossing state lines with your newly purchased dispensery products!
Officer, everything I own is in that bag there. God knows what those high school kids had hidden in this bus before I picked it up this morning.

I am not worried. I am the slowest vehicle on the road and the school left plates on it. I have literally had my foot planted on the floor and not lifting for hours at a time, nowhere so far has the traffic slowed. Even at that, it's taking an extra day to get home. It's 1am, after a 15 day driving, leaviing 6 hours to get home tomorrow. I had comtemplated just driving through, but I'm exhausted. Bus has been flawless so far, except 7mpg and 65mph govern. It's not 67, I went through one of those sherrifs gadgets that tell your speed when you go by, mine read 2 mph high.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:39 AM   #53
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Glad you found some decent smoke out there.
The weed is decent Indica, only 19.40% THC, but the cartridge at 81.09% makes up for it.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:17 AM   #54
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Officer, everything I own is in that bag there. God knows what those high school kids had hidden in this bus before I picked it up this morning.

LOL!!! My wife and I had a good laugh out of that paragraph!
Quote:
Bus has been flawless so far, except 7mpg and 65mph govern. It's not 67, I went through one of those sherrifs gadgets that tell your speed when you go by, mine read 2 mph high.
I'd much rather it read an MPH too high, personally.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:44 AM   #55
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
LOL!!! My wife and I had a good laugh out of that paragraph!

I'd much rather it read an MPH too high, personally.
It's worse than I thought. I came through a construction zone that no one slowed for, I forgot it was Sunday, been driving 4 days. As we came through the zone the Sheriffs had 3 of their digital radar screens set 100 yards apart. Since I was usually the slowest, I came through alone enough to be sure it was catching me and no one else.Came through matted to the floor, speedo showing 67, radar, all 3, showing 63mph. BUMMER. Left at 9:30am, rolled into the front yard at 2:20am, only to learn from my brother it was DLST. Who knew, I'm exhausted, won't do this again anytime soon.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #56
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
It's worse than I thought. I came through a construction zone that no one slowed for, I forgot it was Sunday, been driving 4 days. As we came through the zone the Sheriffs had 3 of their digital radar screens set 100 yards apart. Since I was usually the slowest, I came through alone enough to be sure it was catching me and no one else.Came through matted to the floor, speedo showing 67, radar, all 3, showing 63mph.:
I know here in Georgia those are always set 5 miles per hour slower then your actual speed. They give you the benefit of the doubt. They also won't give you a ticket on radar unless you're 10 miles over.

I wouldn't discount your speedometer that quickly.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #57
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
7.1 mpg is pretty normal in a full size bus.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #58
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Yep, pretty standard. It would do better at 55 but that takes more patience.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:18 PM   #59
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
yucky trip but a Big lesson to be learned here.. RE-LEARN how to road trip... dont be in a such a F**in hurry all the time.. rush rush rush.. thats all we do.. the reason for haviong a bus is to enjoy the sites.. I drove at 55 in my Superior from Portland to Columbus... I saw a lot of neat things on that trip... took breaks, found places to have coffee..

Just fimidhed a little 400 mile trip this weekend in the red one.. Took the Non-intersate foir most of it...

Big thing is tyou made it back and the bus runs good! you try and go 80 in that thing and you can expect about 5 MPGs.. you drive it 55-60 and you'll likely get closer to 9... maybe higher..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #60
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
At 60mph? I get 7.1 @ 85mph on the DT466.