Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #1

Los Angeles help

I did do a search before I posted this. I did not find the info I was looking for eeep sorry I tried. I am about to pull the trigger on a new bus. I know I do not have the place or time or skills need to complete my bus build. So I am looking for a place I can drop the bus off pay to have it built and then enjoy the bus full time on the road. Does a place like this even exist in Los Angeles? If anyone knows please a little help would be rocking cool

drew

Papa Drew’s RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Hi Drew-
I think most skoolie owners are owner-builders. Others may be able to better explain why it is important to have some knowledge of builds; here's my perspective.

Just looking at my build there are going to be ongoing operational maintenance and periodic repairs I will need to do once finished. I'm documenting my build so I can more easily maintain it, and I'm not certain you'd get something similar if you hire out the build.

Additionally, there are dozens and dozens of spot decisions you'll need to make during the build. Having a good understanding of the build process by watching videos, reading in this forum, and checking out other resources online will arm you to make more informed decisions during the build. I don't know if there's a shortcut to this.

On the other hand, you'd be quite surprised at how much you can tackle with little experience and just a few tools. Watch some videos for inspiration, and maybe only sub out certain parts of the build.

Having said all that, there are lots of folks who just jumped in. It is a very different experience, perhaps more costly and frustrating than the more considered and hands on approach I'm describing. I'm not trying to discourage you from moving forward, just trying to shed light on the process from my perspective and experience.

Final thought-have you considered buying an RV to get experience with the rig and lifestyle before tackling a bus? I rented one for a week or so and learned an incredible amount - much to my surprise!
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Hello Drew and welcome.
Good for you to acknowledge and admit your lack of place, time, and skill, but that doesn't deminish your ambition. So in my opinion your plan to buy an empty bus and pay for a complete build would be the most costly and once completed and you're on the road are you any further ahead from buying an already completed skoolie? I think not. There are many reasons for others to give up on almost finished or completed skoolie's, maybe they were in it several years to save for a house and land or they have a growing family. Figure out what your travel plan is and look for a finished bus that fits your needs and has already been in service a while and has the gremlin's shaken out of it. Then study hard on operation and upkeep and I think you're further ahead.
Good luck with your search
Cheers

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:25 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
If you buy a bus without a place to park it what exactly do you plan to do? RV parking is pricey in LA and more than likely you will not be able to work on it. You are aware that you will not be able to insure it until it is registered as an RV. Find a place to park it and/or work on it before you buy it . As others have mentioned why not buy a finished Skoolie but you still have to have a place to park it. Good luck
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:44 PM   #5

Wow thank you for everyone responding. I live in a 34 foot Class C RV right now. For me to many moving parts and to much to break or go wrong. I find in my life less is more. As for parking it. I am going to have it built and then store it. Then comes the fun part on my ride to seeing the country full time. I know Drew you live in a RV now. Yep I sure do. It is an old rode hard put up wet RV that is doing a great job at keep water and cold off my head for now. I have more moving parts to fit together and the skoolie is only a part of the pie.

You all rock and major thanks for your input. All really great info for sure and taken to heart for real. I just have a big game plane all ready laid out and the skoolie is jus part of it.

Rock on Drew
Papa Drew’s RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:24 PM   #6

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AA RE 3903
Engine: 8.3 cummings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Drew’s RV View Post
I did do a search before I posted this. I did not find the info I was looking for eeep sorry I tried. I am about to pull the trigger on a new bus. I know I do not have the place or time or skills need to complete my bus build. So I am looking for a place I can drop the bus off pay to have it built and then enjoy the bus full time on the road. Does a place like this even exist in Los Angeles? If anyone knows please a little help would be rocking cool

drew
Check out Transcend existence on youtube, Wess builds cool busses for people, he is in Kansas.
good luck
Bionic Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:36 PM   #7
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
You might try Ross Rolling Homes. They are a member here and can probably locate a suitable bus for you as well. I can't say I know anything about their work, but they are an active member here and they will do builds for people. You might check out the info in the threads referenced in my sig to aid in your purchase. Also, consider that CA is becoming a monumental PITA when it comes to registration of diesel vehicles.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:19 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
If you aren’t going to do the labor yourself, it is far far less expensive to buy and maintain an RV. Not to mention not having to deal with crazy DMV gymnastics and harder to get insurance.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote