Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2022, 09:05 AM   #1

Louisiana Conversion Company

I live in South Louisiana, and my husband and I are planning on going full-time in the next couple of years. However, we are well aware of our limitations and want to make sure everything is done properly. I've been trying to find a company to help us with the exterior components that we're not comfortable with, and so far I haven't been able to find a company that does roof raises.

I know most people do this themselves, but like I said, we're not going to even try. We're comfortable doing many things, but a full roof raise with a million rivets aren't our cup of tea. Any suggestions on a company in Louisiana that does this?

Shamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:33 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Size Matters

Welcome to Skoolie.net

Van, Conventional, Coach....
What bus do you own?

Van:
www.midwestautomotivedesigns.com
(Baton Rouge, LA)

Full-size / Coach:
www.vulcancoach.com
(Birmingham, AL)

Trusted Builder:
RossVTaylor & Family
is one of the best, but you'd have to travel to AZ.

**Steer clear of LoneStarSkoolies
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:46 AM   #3

We haven't purchased it yet, we're doing preliminary research at the moment. However, we're 90% certain we will be going with a full-size Bluebird school bus.

Thanks for linking Vulcan Coach; I'll send them an email. It's definitely kind of far away but if that's the closest we can get, I'll take it.
Shamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 11:27 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Your going to want to travel to buy your bus as well as have any work done. Odds are that you wont find a reliable roof raiser in your area (although, there are a few people on Facebook that will travel and do it on your property if you pay them and park their bus somewhere).

Personally, if i was having someone else do it. I would get a list of people around the country that have some positive endorsements. I would then get a quick bid from them on what you want. Then i would shop for my bus and drive it directly to them.

Skoolie.com is well recommended for roof raises. They are in North Carolina.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 12:51 PM   #5

I had someone who built out an RV and his own offgrid home in New Orleans help me with my bus, and I've been very happy with it and trust him immensely. When things took longer, he didn't charge me more and has also taken the time to educate me and help me make decisions. Happy to introduce you.
Theraisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 02:42 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamama View Post
I live in South Louisiana, and my husband and I are planning on going full-time in the next couple of years. However, we are well aware of our limitations and want to make sure everything is done properly. I've been trying to find a company to help us with the exterior components that we're not comfortable with, and so far I haven't been able to find a company that does roof raises.

I know most people do this themselves, but like I said, we're not going to even try. We're comfortable doing many things, but a full roof raise with a million rivets aren't our cup of tea. Any suggestions on a company in Louisiana that does this?
If you intend on driving the skoolie around instead of it just sitting in a parking place forever, I would seriously suggest you study the insurance markets / availability for skoolies with a roof raises. It is quite problematic to get insurance on a roof raise.

You might want to consider getting a high roof buss versus a standard height bus.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
company, louisiana, professional, roof raise