Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2004, 01:47 PM   #1

lp everything

does anyone have information on converting gas engine to lp. i have seen some kits on the internet, was wondering if anyone has cheap sources for parts. We recently got a '73 loadstar 1600 w/ 72 pax thomas body and 345ci gas job for free, just learning about the skoolie craze. also, any info on converting small gas gensets to run on lp would help, would like to eventually be set up so everything (engine, gen, furnace, hot water, fridge, cooking) is primarily lp, just one big tank

skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:12 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International
Engine: 345 IH gas
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Greetings,
Only going on heresay here, so bear with me.....
I have no experience with LP powered vehicles, but have heard from various friends who do have it that it makes much less power than gas or diesel in an internal combustion engine.
I have a Loadstar 1600 with the same 345 and an automatic engine.
I just got back from my first real weekend outing and while it was able to maintain 60 MPH, I don't think it would cut it with LP and 1/4 to 1/3 LESS HP.
I have also heard from various folks who use LP gensets that it makes about the same 1/4 to 1/3 less power.

The weight of the tank is another consideration. The LP tanks are much heavier because of the pressure involved. It would take a lot of LP to go anywhere and then there is the problem of finding an open LP fill station on the weekend - there is usually unleaded at pretty much EVERY corner store.

Not trying to down your idea, only giving you some things to think about.
https://www.pettypb.com/bus
Vern1 is offline   Reply With Quote