Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
Almost There

LP tank draws liquid is there a regulator avail to convert.

I got a good deal on a LP tank for a LPG powerd truck. It draws liquid out of the tank is there a regulator avail to supply vapor to furnace and water heater? OR??

In search of Bus #2
(Sold)1989 Chevy Thomas 8.2 Detroit Allison AT545 Custom 3rd door added in back.
GM Service Tech
JonCBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Hey JonC,
I live just below the Cheddar Curtain... You get a good deal local? Can you turn me on to your source?
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Almost There

I got a really good deal $35 with a half full tank of lp. it think its a 35lb 7.9 gal unit. Looks brand new no rust a few nicks. Also has elec level senser. I bought it at the jefferson swap meet. Guy had six of them, I should have bought him out and spread the wealth out to you guys. I can check in spring see if he has more but i doubt it.
In search of Bus #2
(Sold)1989 Chevy Thomas 8.2 Detroit Allison AT545 Custom 3rd door added in back.
GM Service Tech
Old 01-31-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
I was told that there are two outlets on the tanks. One draws lp off the bottom of the tank, the other draws vapour off the top of the tank. Mine has the two outlets, but I haven't tapped into the second outlet yet. Good luck.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
Bus Nut

The tank should have a vapor withdrawl port on the top of the tank, that doesn't help with the 1/2 tank of propane in the tank now though. turn the tank 180 degrees and you should get vapor until the tank is empty, then you can remove the withdrawl valve and set the tank up the way you want it.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
Almost There

Thanks for the info.
There is another port on the tank with a plug in it. Ill check that.
My only problem is the mounting feet are on the bottom side of the tank.
Can I mount the tank upside down and draw vapor then. My theory is that the pickup for the LP is on the bottom of the tank so if its upside down the pickup would be at the top side of the tank. Then i would just need to have the tank filled no more that say 7/8 full.
In search of Bus #2
GM Service Tech
Old 01-31-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
Bus Nut

The ports should be permanently labeled, ie stamped with their intended purpose, vent,guage,fill,etc. I think you'll find that if you remove the liquid withdrawl valve that it has a tube to the bottom of the tank, remove the tube install the valve in the vapor port and plug the liquid port and you now have a vapor withdrawl tank, a safer less confusing situation for a somewhat dangerous system.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
Almost There

today i positioned the tank in the origional position and cracked open the valve It flowed liquid then i rotated it 180 and cracked the valve again it was vapor. I think I will run it this way and see what happens. Now I need to get all the lines and a regulator for the water heater and furnace.
In search of Bus #2
GM Service Tech