Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: DD 6V-71
Making a glue in windshield

I'm seriously considering converting my windshield to a glue in type, like most modern vehicles have. It seems the only rust issues I'm finding, aside from surface rust and bubbling around scratches in the paint, is near the window gaskets. I've worked on many hot rod projects in the past that had the same issues, because the water gets trapped in the sills or finds its way into the pinch seams that the gasket rides on.

If I modified the existing window surrounds in a way that doesnt allow the water to get trapped, a glue in windshield would seam superior to a gasketed window. I've seen very few modern vehicles rust out around the windshield, save for those designs that naturally trap water in the corners.

I have a glass man that will cut the glass for me at a reasonable price, I'm just curious to know if anyone has ever seen it done on a bus. It seems a massive piece of glass hanging there with almost zero slope might be kind of hard to get sealed, much less permanently mounted.

Any thoughts?

RyanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Are you talking about a forward control bus with basically large vertical windows? I think you're right to question your glass man about the glue in holding on a hot summer day. I'm not a glass man at all, but like you I think those large heavy pains of glass need a little support.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Before you do anything, talk to several glass people including the manufacturer. Windshields are mounted a certain way for a reason. Sometimes they are a structural part of the roof. Doing it differently will compromise the integrity of the bus. Most bus windshields are gasketed in to allow for some movement as you go down the road. Gluing it in will stress it and cause cracking. Plus, that large of a glass will expand and contract a lot in relation to the frame. Best to remove the glass and seal the framing then reinstall.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Talk to some auto glass install shops/experts too and ask them if this is even feasible or recommended. Just something to think about, sometimes you have to remove the front windshield to move large items into/out of the bus like a fridge, stove, couch, etc. Easy to take a gasketed window out and replace it. Not easy on a glued in window.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
Skoolie

There are far bigger windows than that hanging from glue that are actually tipped out at the top. Just look at some of the farm equipment out there. I like the glue in type as they are easy to replace when needed.

However,......If there is any curve to the frame at all and you try to install a flat window hoping the glue will make up any tolerances, talk to the window installers first. I did, and they say not to do it as the glue is only good to a certain depth or thickness. So the whole window would be supported by the part that has proper glue depth. They told me about a lot of failures when people would buy the glass ignoring their warnings and then come back a few months later to have a curved window made and installed proper.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:35 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: DD 6V-71
Sorry for the lack of response, for some reason I'm not getting any notifications.......

Anyhoo, if I do this, after consulting with professionals of course, I would leave the existing frame intact and build a new structure over it. As I said before, my concerns surround that much free hanging weight out there with no supporting structure to hold it up. I've watched pro's install new windshields before, and it doesn't seem unreasonable, given the amount of other vehicles out there that have similarly extreme angled windshields. The glue, if it even really is glue, goes on like silicone. It even comes in tubes, like silicone, and seems to be easily applied, again, like silicone. I just have reservations about its gripping abilities.

I almost wonder if a guy could fabricate some type of stainless supports that would be fixed to the window frame to keep the window centered, and permanently in place, allowing the glued to simply seal the window in, instead of pulling the double duty of sealing AND retaining the windshield in place.

The bus I'm considering making these modifications to is a Gillig rear engine bus, you can see it in my build thread "Delores: My 1973 Gillig Build".
RyanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #7
Bus Nut

The adhesive used to hold windshields in is plenty strong to hold the glass without adding brackets. Talk to the glass shop people and they can tell you exactly what's possible.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
And when did duct tape go out of style?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
And when did duct tape go out of style?
Duct tape went out of style? I didn't get that memo.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote