Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 06:34 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
My roof hatches were blown off in a thunderstorm. The hose clamp is ok for keeping a hose clamped but Idk how well it will last as a structural element.
Think about where the force is acting in a tube or hose. It isn't leveraging against anything. Its holding pressure in, not holding the hose while the hose is having leverage applied against the hose clamp.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
First let me say, it's your bus you can do what ever you want as long as you don't endanger others. This forum is pretty tolerant of odd, but not so much of dangerous.

Quote:
what is illegal or unlawful about the air vent? is unconventional against the law or codes?
Is this your criteria for doing things? What about, this may not be a good idea? It's no wonder we have so many laws designed to protect people from themselves. There may not be a law for a private vehicle, but there are plenty if it were a commercial vehicle. Besides, there doesn't have to be a law against something, if an officer sees something questionable, to at least stop you and have a talk about it.

Quote:
the air scoop survived a 280 mile trip without movement as configured
If by "without movement" you mean it didn't beat itself to death and fall off, I'll buy that. I spent the last 20 years tying things down to a flat bed trailer, I can say without a doubt that thing will, at some point in time come off. I have lost things that were tied down much better than that. Tie down straps break, chains break, load binders break, load rings pull out, etc.

Quote:
yea everybody missed the 6" screw band clamp
I didn't miss that, probably the only quality piece of hardware on the whole contraption. Although that is not what they are designed for.
You have two wires holding it down, but nothing holding it up. The wire looks to be stove pipe wire which is very soft, evidenced by the twists you made in it at the lower end. It will very quickly work harden and break. The rear looks to be simply hooked into the hole in the roof with, maybe a piece of pipe strap doing something, that stuff will also work harden and break.

Quote:
they trust pressurized air oil and water to the same screw band clamps
This isn't even close to comparing apples to oranges, it's more like comparing apples to elephants.

As bansil said, why not simply use the four holes you already have? Or if you must use a register of some sort, cut a square hole in the front directly below in the front of the bus?

Does it not ever rain where you are?

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
That's it, I'm taking out my windshield and back glass and wearing goggles..... that way I have great air flow and nothing to fly off my bus to endanger the GP!!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 97
Chassis: BadMuthaFuka
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: All of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
That's it, I'm taking out my windshield and back glass and wearing goggles..... that way I have great air flow and nothing to fly off my bus to endanger the GP!!
you will most certainly need some red baron style old bi-wing goggles and the leather skull cap to match! maybe white scarf to know wind direction.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
when I was a kid there used to be on some busses.. (thomas I thought) a glass air "deflector" that was on arms similar to a mirror that the driver could use to deflect air into the bus from the driver window.. I remember tons of wind coming in when that was set just right..

it was safely attached and brought in tons of air.. and when it wasnt needed the driver folded it out of the way

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
when I was a kid there used to be on some busses.. (thomas I thought) a glass air "deflector" that was on arms similar to a mirror that the driver could use to deflect air into the bus from the driver window.. I remember tons of wind coming in when that was set just right.. it was safely attached and brought in tons of air.. and when it wasnt needed the driver folded it out of the way

-Christopher
With a little ingenuity, one could prolly create one of those!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
I had one of my race trucks with no windshield, running down the highway at 65 mph with a helmet and goggles one a big azz'd bee got caught in my collar area that hurt before I could get stopped

I was just saying that if I saw you driving in my patrol area with that "visually" on top of a school bus I would pull you over using that as PC...thinking what in the heck is that for??? drugs or...never invite the man into your life

and like I said those light holes are perfect fit for plastic toilet flanges that mount on the floor, and then metal flexible dryer vent hose fits on them perfectly...that would be an awesome start to fresh air

it's your bus so do as you please...just make so to practise safety like mom used to say
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote