Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2022, 11:27 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Meet @thewildflowerbus / specific registration question

I did it, I bought my girl today! She's waiting patiently at the lot for me to bring her home.

I have a quick (?) question, regarding my stationary skoolie that does not run and will not be mobile.

I was told to go to the DMV with my title and paperwork and get it registered as an OFF ROAD vehicle (off road as in it doesn't drive) so that it can be towed without having to black out all of the school bus signage (something I would much rather do when it's home and not on the hot, muddy, and dangerous salvage lot).

THEN, after it's home, I should convert it to an RV title, so it is legal to live on the property?

For what reason wouldn't you just keep it as an OFF ROAD vehicle? The salvage yard said that's how everyone who gets non-running cars from them registers them to get them home, but what changes after that?
Attached Thumbnails
photocollage_2022816121850837.jpg  

Wildfloweramanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:46 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfloweramanda View Post
I was told to go to the DMV with my title and paperwork and get it registered as an OFF ROAD vehicle (off road as in it doesn't drive) so that it can be towed without having to black out all of the school bus signage (something I would much rather do when it's home and not on the hot, muddy, and dangerous salvage lot).

THEN, after it's home, I should convert it to an RV title, so it is legal to live on the property?

For what reason wouldn't you just keep it as an OFF ROAD vehicle? The salvage yard said that's how everyone who gets non-running cars from them registers them to get them home, but what changes after that?
I am adamantly against registration as a whole, because it is essentially 'requesting permission for ownership' from a 'superior/supreme authority' (namely the state)--both of which are principles which I patently deny, as I do not require permission to own anything as a result of my divine/natural existence, and I consider 'The People' to be a supreme authority to 'the state' as the state was created by 'The People'--of which I am a part.

But, if you're not willing to study some law and make these kinds of arguments yourself, or you think it's simply easier to comply than deny, you want to register it as an 'off-road vehicle' which says less about it's drivetrain and 4-/A-WD but more that it is essentially a vehicle that you have no intention of putting on the public roadways other than perhaps being towed/trailered. This should also lower the taxes on it.

Converting it to an RV title compared to off-road title essentially grants permission from the state for that vehicle to also be considered a 'dwelling' instead of merely a vehicle so far as the state is concerned.

Essentially, because the bureaucrats are such small-minded morons incapable of any kind of creative, reasonable, or rational thought whatsoever, while it is titled as an off-road vehicle, it is considered to be a jeep or car that lacks the proper requirements for it to be habitable (kitchen/restroom/bed), even if it actually and observably has those things inside it. When you go through the process and convert the title to RV, then the state has deigned to acknowledge that it is, in fact, a vehicle that is capable of being a habitable dwelling and/or residence. Oh, and they also want their pound of flesh in the form of taxes for paying those fees, because they are gods that rule, and you are a mere and lowly tax-cow that exists to support them and their 'professions'.

If it is registered as an 'off-road vehicle', and you somehow get 'caught' living in it, then the tyrants see you as living out of a car in the back of someone else's yard.

If it is registered as an "RV", then they are forced to admit that, yes, it is a proper and suitable space to be used as a dwelling.

It does not matter what color it is, it does not matter what you have inside of it or how it is hooked up to all kinds of grid systems or not... This is "the law", and this is also why I have so much contempt for it.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
I did it, I bought my girl today! She's waiting patiently at the lot for me to bring her home.

I have a quick (?) question, regarding my stationary skoolie that does not run and will not be mobile.

I'm not familiar with your state's regs, but if I had to guess an off-road title would exempt you from needing license plates and the annual fee for that. If you have it registered as an RV you'll pay annual plate fees.

Going back to our discussion on the other thread if you keep it setup as off-grid and don't tie into your friend's utilities, there shouldn't be any inspections required and nobody will give two hoots as to what the title says. If I were in your shoes, I'd leave it as off-road... why pay for annual license plates on something that will never drive on a public road?
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:51 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I just realized what I should do!

Look, I want it to be legal bc Sarasota won't play around when it comes to regulations, so as much as I hate the government too, I think that's the best way to avoid losing all the work I put into it.

I plan on tying into my friend's power to start. But it won't be habitable until months down the road, maybe longer, so I ought to keep it as Off-Road until I'm ready to move in, to avoid those pesky fees for as long as possible.

Does that sound like a workable plan??
Old 08-16-2022, 01:16 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Caution is Good

Nice bus. Well done on the purchace price, too.

Title is just proof of ownership. Different than Registration. Even without registration, they may not hassle you.

Back the bus in, if possible. Avoid facing the rear in "plain view" without a plate. Try to lay low until you feel educated/safe to go public regarding "living in it" (local fb, neighbors, etc.)

Idk about off-road use. Like Ham said, that may work, wait & see. Worst-case, later you register it as an RV & obtain a plate & insurance for compliance, maybe not. I do know how to complete a Registration as "Ag Use" and "Toad" designations (plated w/o insurance).

You can still use Water & Electric. There is no authority over the interior. You are your own AHJ inside of the bus. The water & pedestal connected to the grid are easy inspections, often a final, only. 2pole/30amp has less "rules" than 2P/50A. You can do the labor, yourself. Mostly shovel work (one attic crawl).
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:57 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Here in Alabama the title and registration is a separate issue meaning that I can title a bus and not register it. Registering it means getting a tag and having to have ins. However it seems that titling and registration in Fla. may be one in the same requiring insurance(?). Maybe 'offroad' is a way around having to get insurance? I bet there is more than one vehicle sitting in a backyard somewhere without a tag and ins.
There is a form HSMV 82040, "APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATE OF TITLE WITH/WITHOUT REGISTRATION" section 11, where you can certify that it will not be used on streets and highways maybe getting around insurance needs.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:06 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Does that sound like a workable plan??
Yes, absolutely.

And that's generally the way most people do things, unless they happen to live in one of those places where no one generally cares, and regs are fairly lax, and you can literally walk into the B/DMV and tell them that you just bought a bus and are intending to convert it, and they will do all the paperwork right then and there.

But those are also the kinds of places where you could essentially do nothing and also be alright unless you've got one of 'those' neighbors.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:13 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I would go the motorhome plate route.. in general it is always legal to have an RV parked on your property. Also less likely to get question if this a junkyard and environmental questions.
No need to register it. As resale even without motor better as well since the diy RV will become more regulated in the future. Better be a step ahead.

Personally I think you would have been better of with a 5tg wheel or large trailer. With some care these can last 15 yrs and nobody can look that far ahead in time. You might have signed on for a mission to Mars.

Good luck.
Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:32 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
You are your own AHJ inside of the bus.
Okay, I give up ... What's AHJ?
Old 08-16-2022, 06:15 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Lol.
Authority Having Jurisdiction.
Inside of the bus, you are the inspector.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote