Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Metal studs?

Hello all. I'm new here and may be asking a silly question but has anyone done framing with metal studs? Looks like the cost is about the same/less at local box stores and the weight vs strength is way better with the metal. Trying to plan as much as I can before I get in to far. Thoughts? What does anyone know about these? Am I an idiot?

MotorMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
You need to go read as many threads in the build section as you can.

All the info is there. Many have used steel studs. This has been covered over and over again.

Please search before starting new threads and cluttering up this site with topics already covered.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=steel...OcbKogSax5mICw

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/262756959483892947/

This is a ongoing issue on this site.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:18 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Not an idiot; it's a reasonable question. Of course the answer is "yes, someone has done it." What you probably wanted to know is how they did it, how it turned out, would they do it again, etc. Probably those answers can be found there: https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-001 As you may have found, the skoolie.net search isn't so great. Use an external search engine instead. The external search can even be focused to just the Skoolie Conversion Projects section of the forum by finding the URI for that section and plugging it into the search query's "site:" term, like this: https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...+stud&ei=UTF-8
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMike View Post
Hello all. I'm new here and may be asking a silly question but has anyone done framing with metal studs? Looks like the cost is about the same/less at local box stores and the weight vs strength is way better with the metal. Trying to plan as much as I can before I get in to far. Thoughts? What does anyone know about these? Am I an idiot?
You're not an idiot- and not everyone minds questions.
In my opinon- metal > wood.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Maybe it is time for a metal stud sticky?
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
Maybe it is time for a metal stud sticky?
That search took me 15 seconds.

It's time for lots of sticky's.

However, I don't have the ability to post things as a sticky. I can make threads, but not make them a sticky.

The real solution is new members learning how to search, VS starting a bunch of new threads asking the same questions that were just asked a few days, or weeks ago.

Even if there was a metal stud sticky, people would still come here and expect to be spoon fed.

A sticky teaching people to search would be the most valuable.

If you were to ask a question like this on pirate 4x4, you would get ripped apart. They hate spoon feeding over there.

I think all new members should be restricted to one new thread per 30 days. That would force people to learn to search and read.

After all, anything you can think of has been covered already in the build thread section.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 08-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Bus Nut

You would think so but not all systems are oracled in the way you would expect and if you don't stack the search criteria you won't get the results you are looking for. With out knowing what to search it is impossible to find what are seeking. Also the VBullitin search function is just garbage and you are better using google and adding site:http://www.skoolie.net/ to the search bar.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
That search took me 15 seconds.

If you were to ask a question like this on pirate 4x4, you would get ripped apart. They hate spoon feeding over there.

Nat
Largest group of a--hats that I have ever seen. I truly hope that this site is Nothing like Pirate 4x4 or I'll just find me another one to visit.

everybody starts somewhere and questions gain knowledge. None of us were born knowing.....
Corland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corland View Post
Largest group of a--hats that I have ever seen. I truly hope that this site is Nothing like Pirate 4x4 or I'll just find me another one to visit.
LOL same thing I said in the past... almost exactly the same.
I for one, am GLAD this isn't "pirate 4x4"...
Old 08-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I've found that steel studs (like the kinds you would use in a commercial building or other fixed structure) are not optimal for a vehicle like a bus. They take up too much space given their size and application.

It would be more apt to think of metal studs as formed sheet metal channels (since that's what they are) and are structurally strong in specific ways that force you to construct your interior parts on a bus in a specific way that isn't always optimal.

The 2x4 (and smaller) wood construction that you see in skoolies is more versatile to constructing the shapes and parts that need to fit than the steel studs simply because they can be combined and used in nearly any orientation.

After evaluating steel stud, 2x4, plywood, and other media, I personally settled on 1"x1"x0.065" thick cold roll square tubing. With a welder I can quickly assemble small frame pieces and attach mounting flanges cut from 1/8" flat bar stock.

I can also use nut-serts in the square tubing, which let me build large assemblies that can be deconstructed and reassembled for installation, maintenance, and plain changing my mind about something.

Per linear foot, 1" square steel tubing has a much higher modulus of elasticity, lower weight, and takes up less space than both wood or sheet steel box (steel stud) construction.

To go even further in optimization, a panel formed from fiberglass or sheetmetal would probably be stronger in-situ, but the specialized construction techniques, and planning requirements for building those components is far more effort than bolting or welding together some square tubing.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Why cold rolled vs hot rolled, Aaron?
Old 08-26-2015, 10:37 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Wish I could find cold rolled around here. No scale to have to grind off.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:39 PM   #13

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

Hot Rolled vs Cold Rolled Steel

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Excellent info. I would add that if you intend on welding & or painting hot rolled steel...the scale needs to be removed. A RPITA process I have been doing on every piece I have been fabbing for three years now. The "scale" on the surface is essentially compressed oxidation and is not what you want in a weld joint or under a paint job.

Muriatic acid is the quickest way to clean it down to actual metal but is really nasty stuff to deal with. And since the scale is a little harder than the underlying steel, it is major chore to try and grind off without gouging and scarfing up the surface.

Like I said...I WISH I could find a cold rolled source around here...that I could afford.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:57 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Like tango said, the mill scale is a pita. On the other ha d mill scale when left untreated or painted seems to rust slower too. I guess it depends on the project. Farm gate? Hot roll probably. Some sort of vehicle or technical thing? I usually go cold roll or strip all mill scale first since I'll probably paint or powdercoat it anyway.

Quote:
Old 08-27-2015, 12:18 AM   #16
Bus Geek

All my interior framing will be done with 16 ga custom formed pieces, made to my specs.

I will be using galvanized so I don't have to paint every piece.

Galvanized is only 10 cents more per pound from my supplier. I can't come close to painting the metal for that cost.

Nat

Old 08-27-2015, 12:26 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
I know the difference.
Cold rolled is way overkill. But it AINT my money.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:33 AM   #18
Bus Nut

The metal supplier I use in Kent, Washington is selling me 1" x1" x.0625x20' lengths of cold roll for $16 each, which is super affordable in my book. I was buying about 200 feet at a time though.

Quote:
I know the difference.
Cold rolled is way overkill. But it AINT my money.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
You can also purchase metal studs in 2 1/2 in withs
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote