Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
methane generator

have any off griders thought about setting up a methane generator? - ( methane = propane ) the waste from one household can generate a lot of methane - not only would it be environmentally friendly, it could save a lot of $'s otherwise spent on propane - you can buy a small set up designed to capture methane, or there are many videos showing how to build your own

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:10 AM   #2

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Sleddgracer - I've been developing a design to include one on the bus!

Small proof-of-concept going right now via Solar C³ITIES

Looking to scale it up and potentially fuel a stovetop, water heater, lighting...

You have any experience with em?

not-the-only-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:43 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
30 years ago we filled a 55 gallon drum half full with cow poo slurry, put a large inner tube around it with a hose and it did work couple weeks later. Unreliable pressure, too much variability with quality of gas and amount available, kinda ridiculous. Did this at college, no shortage of 'help'

today propane is cheaper then ever with fracking and no fuel scarcity. Fun to try thats it. They dont even do it at dairy farms with all that poo stationary!
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #4

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Matthews2001 - I've become enamored with the idea just over the past year. Been involved in a number of Permie projects and I'm thrilled with the potential. I hear you about the variables in pressure, quality, etc. ... and, I suppose that's what excites me most!

If I can get this right, or at least within a window of tolerance with regards to time and effort, I'd like to promote this - super appropriate technology - to the skoolie community and beyond.

Check out this video from the Solar cities site linked above. Lays out how to make a full system from international bulk containers (IBC's); cheap and available in abundance worldwide.

not-the-only-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:33 PM   #5

Any progress on this? I'm just wondering how you store it. Would you compress it into a tank as the pressure built up? Could you add to it (biomass) at any time?
CNGturbo is offline   Reply With Quote