Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #1

Mid-bedroom with back office idea (RE)

Hi folks! My partner and I are on the market for a rear engine bus. We like the idea of a quieter ride and less heat while on the road. We also want separated work spaces. Mine will be in the back and his will be in the front. Has anyone tried to turn the rear engine space into a bench? I'm thinking that could be the seat of my desk and we'll build a wall between the bedroom area and my office. I got the idea from this build https://youtu.be/wohC1hsDNrM?t=668 but they do have a front engine. We're also heavily leaning towards a roof raise, which would make up for not having the typical his and hers closets. Neither of us have that many clothes, so we're thinking about less clothing storage and more room for a walkway on one side of the bus to the bedroom and my office.

Just some thoughts. We haven't bought the bus yet. We're hoping to pretty soon and spend the next ~2 years slowly building it.

astro_school86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:21 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: Cat C7 7.3L
Rated Cap: 90 Passenger
I'm planning out a similar layout but for different reasons. I'm looking to orient a very deep working bench, still oriented rearwards. I like the concept of bed'room' being in the middle with storage/workspace in the rear. from my plans I can still fit a queen-ish sized bed just behind the midpoint of the bus which means that if someone is sleeping while driving they aren't on the engine suffering the from noise and heat. additionally if your water storage is internal it becomes a great place to keep water tanks and shortens and simplifies the plumbing for the entire project.
enigmamdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:52 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
It seems like a doable plan. Have you sketched it out to see how much space it leaves for bathroom, kitchen, and an area just to hang (assuming y'all want those things)?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Not sure about RE school busses but in our city bus it used to be a bench. Never gave it consideration in the day we built Dory but it would be an interesting setup that could be very space efficient.

Good luck
Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
That bus looks super crowded and cramped, it would drive me nuts after a week.
You might seriously consider a smaller bus/van and a trailer, you would have two isolated spaces.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bench, office, rear engine