Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2019, 03:30 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Mid engine

In the past half year I have been looking for long (36 ft+) mid engine school buses for sale and cannot find any. Based on observation, it seems that none were made in the 1990's and later. Is that true? Crown made some and Gillig made some. My fettish with the mid-engine busses....I would love to put a big jacuzzi in the rear of the bus and still have enough room to have loft storage over it - maybe even a loft bedroom. I don't want front engine because of the space lost to the drive shaft. Also (my own observation) the pre 1990's busses seem to be a little short on head room. I am hoping this will be my tiny home - a 24/7/52 dwelling place, so the underfloor storage is pretty important. I know that there were a couple of pancake diesel engines made in earlier years, but the one I looked up weighed more than a ton by itself and might have been a 2 stroke engine to boot, so putting a pancake engine in the back is not an option. Has anyone tried to flip their differential and put the rear engine in front of the differential? In theory it is easy - not sure about the $$$ of practice.

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
In the past half year I have been looking for long (36 ft+) mid engine school buses for sale and cannot find any. Based on observation, it seems that none were made in the 1990's and later. Is that true? Crown made some and Gillig made some. My fettish with the mid-engine busses....I would love to put a big jacuzzi in the rear of the bus and still have enough room to have loft storage over it - maybe even a loft bedroom. I don't want front engine because of the space lost to the drive shaft. Also (my own observation) the pre 1990's busses seem to be a little short on head room. I am hoping this will be my tiny home - a 24/7/52 dwelling place, so the underfloor storage is pretty important. I know that there were a couple of pancake diesel engines made in earlier years, but the one I looked up weighed more than a ton by itself and might have been a 2 stroke engine to boot, so putting a pancake engine in the back is not an option. Has anyone tried to flip their differential and put the rear engine in front of the differential? In theory it is easy - not sure about the $$$ of practice.
Crown went out of business and ceased operations around 1991 (don't recall the actual day). My Crown is a 1990 (Chino Crown) with a mid engine DD-671TA (They are two Stroke). I am in the process of doing a roof raise as 75" is just not tall enough given my height and factoring in the insulation for the floor and ceiling. I don't plan on modifying the drivetrain, so cannot answer questions about modifying the mechanicals.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote