Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

Missouri Color Requirements

Just purchased a bus to convert and I'll be converting and registering it in Missouri. Does anyone know if Missouri requires converted school buses to be painted a color other than NSBY (National School Bus Yellow)? I know many states do but I can't seem to find any information specific to Missouri. Thanks!

JeffreyJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I think you will find that the NHTSB has the final say. Although the following is termed a "recommendation", the NHTSB expects nation wide adherence to its recommendations.
"All school buses should:
Be identified with the words "School Bus" printed in letters not less than eight inches high, located between the warning signal lamps as high as possible without impairing visibility of the lettering from both front and rear, and have no other lettering on the front or rear of the vehicle, except as required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS), 49 CFR part 571.
Be painted National School Bus Glossy Yellow, in accordance with the colorimetric specification of National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Federal Standard No. 595a, Color 13432, except that the hood should be either that color or lusterless black, matching NIST Federal Standard No. 595a, Color 37038.
Have bumpers of glossy black, matching NIST Federal Standard No. 595a, Color 17038, unless, for increased visibility, they are covered with a reflective material.
Be equipped with safety equipment for use in an emergency, including a charged fire extinguisher, that is properly mounted near the driver's seat, with signs indicating the location of such equipment.
Be equipped with device(s) demonstrated to enhance the safe operation of school vehicles, such as a stop signal arm.
Be equipped with a system of signal lamps that conforms to the school bus requirements of FMVSS No. 108, 49 CFR 571.108.
Have a system of mirrors that conforms to the school bus requirements of FMVSS No. 111, 49 CFR 571.111.
Comply with all FMVSS applicable to school buses at the time of their manufacture.
Any school bus meeting the identification recommendations of sections l, a-h above that is permanently converted for use wholly for purposes other than transporting children to and from school or school-related events should be painted a color other than National School Bus Glossy Yellow, and should have the stop arms and school bus signal lamps described by sections 1, e & f removed."
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #3

Thanks for sharing that!

Looks like that answers my question. I've seen a number of Skoolies still painted yellow (with all other school bus identifiers removed) but it sounds like they have just been lucky in avoiding the law. Thanks for sharing!
JeffreyJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
JeffreyJB, I suggest that you contact DMV or the State Police for that information. They will be the final authority and also the ones who write the tickets you may have to redeem.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
JeffreyJB, I suggest that you contact DMV or the State Police for that information. They will be the final authority and also the ones who write the tickets you may have to redeem.
Not to get into a pissing match, but sometimes it's just safer to repaint it. Especially if you plan on traveling to states where NBSY needs to be repainted.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I'm not worried about it being safer to repaint Brunhilde. I have NO intentions of driving about in a Twinkie forever. I AM going to remove most of the reflective tape and the SCHOOL BUS signs fore and aft as well as the STOP sign on the side. But, for the moment, painting is so far down on my priorities lists as to be subterranean. As long as there is no rust, I'm a happy camper.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote