Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 1308N
Engine: 5.9 24V Cummins
Rated Cap: 44 Transit
Mobile communication

I'm just starting my build and I was wondering if there are a lot of HAM operators in this group? If so, do you folks have a favorite frequency for locating other skoolies while travelling? Or maybe a series of frequencies to scan? Rick KD9MCZ

RMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
I'm just starting my build and I was wondering if there are a lot of HAM operators in this group? If so, do you folks have a favorite frequency for locating other skoolies while travelling? Or maybe a series of frequencies to scan? Rick KD9MCZ
I would start with 146.520Mhz in the 2m band and 446Mhz in the 70cm band. If you're driving, that's probably where you'll find the most local traffic.

Also, you can pick up the repeater book app which will let you know how to connect to local repeaters around you.

I can't speak about the number of active hams, though...

Jeremy
N8JJA
jjaj823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for that. I do have the repeater book app and use it. I was just wondering if the skoolie community had their own preferred frequencies.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
Skoolie

I wonder if we could put together a Skoolie net? That would be interesting...the boating community does something similar. It would probably have to be over HF though...I assume we are all spread out, so unless enough of us have DMR, that's the only way it would work.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:42 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Great idea, I don't have the experience or expertise to pull that off, but I would sure participate.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
Great idea, I don't have the experience or expertise to pull that off, but I would sure participate.
They really are not so complicated. Basically, you have a control station that runs everything and each station (individual person, usually) checks in. Then, the control operator will bring up any scheduled topics, before finally asking if anyone else has any traffic. That's about it!

I've been a part of marine nets where cruisers will check in with each other once or twice a day to provide position information and maybe weather. For them, its a safety thing, but I could see some uses for RV/Skoolie use also.

In order to participate, you would need an HF ham radio and the General class license from the FCC to use it. I don't think we could get decent enough range on the Technician portion of the bands.