Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2021, 09:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Mold Prevention & preferred materials

I've read a lot about Camper/Trailer construction, and i've seen lots of issues with molding and mildew etc. The Trailer solution seems to be "dont let it get wet to begin with", and "use a dehumidifier". Those are good tips, but i was wondering if there are better types of materials i could use that would resist mold/mildew even if it did get wet.

What could i use other than pine furring strips?
What could i use for wall/celing surfaces, other than wood/drywall/wallpaper?

Important attributes:
- Does not absorb/retain moisture
- Easy to clean/wipe
- No Discoloration/aging

Bonus attributes:
- Lightweight
- Cleaning chemical resistant. (vs the usual supermarket cleaning chemicals)
- Abrasion resistant (vs cleaning scrubbies)

The obvious solutions would be Plastics, Glass, and Tile.
Downside to Plastics for surfaces, is they yellow over time.
Downside to Tile and Glass is they're really heavy, and the mortar/tiles can crack.

I was considering using halved PVC pipes as furring strips, and other behind-the-walls things. Is there any reason not to? insulation or condensation issues? Are there better plastic items to use for this?

My bathroom plan is tiles & mortar. But thats heavy and rather fragile. Are there any spray-on paint-like coatings that could be used?

Still wondering what i should do for my living area & bedroom.

I'm open to out-of-the-box ideas. Spray-on rubber? Are there any sorts of coatings i could consider?

teknomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:06 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Look at rockwool insulation and cedar. Tongue and groove cedar ceilings are pretty cool, but I did fasten it to pine furring strips. I also used some magic RV roof repair tape and taped all the roof seams to prevent water intrusion and it’s worked well. I avoid pvc when I can in case of toxicity in fire and (maybe) off gassing. Pvc in general is horrible **** for the world so I avoid it when I can, but it’s hard to make drains without it.
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 05:10 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Cedar and Black Locus(t) wood are naturally resistant to that kind of nastiness, and I'm sure there are some other species out there, too, with varying degrees of resistance. Another option would be to prime your wood with something like KILZ Primer to take care of that, although I'm sure that it would lose effectiveness over the years.

Going to double-up on the rockwool recommendation; yes, it's expensive, but it's one of the best insulators out there by far, and it is resistant to mold/mildew, fire & heat, as well as sounds from outside the bus.

Maybe it's just because I like metal, but using some very thin metal sheets on the inside of the bus would have a nice effect as well as resist all kinds of nastiness as well. From Stainless to brass to aluminum, if you keep it insulated and do not directly layer them on top of steel you can minimize or remove galvanic corrosion nearly completely.

I wouldn't use plastic unless I had to, that stuff just keeps getting nastier and nastier the more we discover about it.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:36 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Do you feel that rockwool is a better insulator than spray foam, and why? Thanks.
tguy1241 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction, materials, mold, prevention