Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Motorcycle Towing Idea

I had an idea about carrying a motorcycle on a skoolie I'd like to float out there-

A flat platform/deck on the front that folds up against the nose of a flat-faced bus when not in use, folds down where the platform is at level with the bumper.

I'd cut out holes for the headlights for when it is up, and put secondary headlights at the end for when it is down.

Something custom that a welder would do.

Inspiration:

I'm trying to carry a Kawasaki Concours 14, 670lbs dry. I'm considering a similar idea for the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
wheel_rack.jpg  

kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
It would work fine if you have a rear engine bus. I would worry about overheating a front engine bus with a MC stuck directly in front of the radiator... I haul a KZ1000 Shaft with a rear bumper carrier, it weighs 600+ lbs as well. The rear hauler works great.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Can you imagine what your bike would look like on the back of the bus after a rain shower while driving? Can you say road grime? Even on the front of the bus the bike is going to take a lot of bugs on a road trip.

The front mount would probably work good on a RE bus. I'm not sure I'd have the nuggets to mount my bike anywhere on the exterior of this bus. That's what they make wheel chair lifts for, so you can keep your bike nice and clean inside the bus. Call me paranoid, but any externally mounted equipment can be messed with by passers by.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Can you imagine what your bike would look like on the back of the bus after a rain shower while driving? Can you say road grime? Even on the front of the bus the bike is going to take a lot of bugs on a road trip.

The front mount would probably work good on a RE bus. I'm not sure I'd have the nuggets to mount my bike anywhere on the exterior of this bus. That's what they make wheel chair lifts for, so you can keep your bike nice and clean inside the bus. Call me paranoid, but any externally mounted equipment can be messed with by passers by.
you're just giving away your age Robin. These younger folks ain't near as paranoid as us old guys !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
you're just giving away your age Robin. These younger folks ain't near as paranoid as us old guys !!
Sir, I'm not sure I'd call it paranoia- I'm plenty cautious myself.

That being said... the platform being a steel frame, there's plenty of opportunity to lock the bike down, and you could easily put a bike cover over the thing in transit. There are ways to deal with the issues raised.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
But you see I couldn't care less what my bike looks like... It starts and runs like a striped ape every time... I guess I'm not your typical biker, because mine is covered in oil mud and grime and damnit, that's the way its supposed to be...

I just realized I have literally never washed a motorcycle I have ever owned, except before painting...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I washed one in 1980, by hand.

Perhaps it's the gravel roads and mud in this area during wet weather, but the back end of this bus gets a coating of road grime every time I go to town. I wouldn't do that to a road bike, and I'm trying not to do that to a trail bike either. This is a wet area in a coastal region and things tend to corrode, especially aluminum gets ugly. That's why I made a garage in the back of my bus.