Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 11:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Ford E-450 Shuttle Bus
Mount 20 lb. propane tank on OUTSIDE of vehicle

So it seems the two options are a horizontal mounted tank for propane under the bus or to build a locker that vents through the floor.

What's the problem with mounting a a propane tank to the back of a shuttle bus? A bunch of rigs have gasoline tanks mounted on the back but mounting a propane tank (BBQ size) to the back wall of a bus appears to be a no-no. What am I missing? Can someone please enlighten me?

My thought would be to mount a bbq size canister on the back of my bus to fuel a stove (internal) and an L5 water heater mounted above the bbq canister.

Thanks all!

trspaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:05 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by trspaulding View Post
So it seems the two options are a horizontal mounted tank for propane under the bus or to build a locker that vents through the floor.

What's the problem with mounting a a propane tank to the back of a shuttle bus? A bunch of rigs have gasoline tanks mounted on the back but mounting a propane tank (BBQ size) to the back wall of a bus appears to be a no-no. What am I missing? Can someone please enlighten me?
Besides becoming a flambee if someone rear-ends you?

It's for safety, of course. Anything hits or punctures those tanks, there is a high probability you won't even know what hit you. That's why many motorhomes have their LP tanks mounted beneath the body where they have some protection from unintentional collision-induced detonation. Travel trailers usually put them on the triangle where the hitch tongue expands to meet the frame, though I'm not really keen on that -- they're relatively well-protected when the tow vehicle is attached, I suppose, but I just don't think it's a good idea to have something that volatile exposed to wayward objects.

Quote:
My thought would be to mount a bbq size canister on the back of my bus to fuel a stove (internal) and an L5 water heater mounted above the bbq canister.

Thanks all!
Mounting it on the back wall could cause a similar situation to turn it into a projectile. Much better to mount it underneath.

You could always route hoses through the floor and build a cabinet / cage beneath the floor for them... So much the better if your bus has underbody storage, such compartments come in quite handy for such things... Just my $0.02,
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:48 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
NFPA 1192 has a lot of requirements that are outdated or irrelevant to self-converters, but its LPG storage location does make sense - propane cylinders and tanks should be between the front and rear axles. Also, if you have propane cylinders outside they could A) be stolen, or B) be pilfered with, or C) arouse the ire of any zealous LEO with nothing better to do, or D) prevent you getting into some campgrounds.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:05 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
I'm doing a sort of combination of these two. I had to rebuild the floor around my wheel wells and in the course of this I built in a 2'x2' platform raised about 10" above the floor in front of the passenger-side well and open to the underside. My stove will be on top of this platform inside, and underneath will be the propane tank compartment, with its base flush with the side skirt. Because of the raised platform, the height of this compartment will be closer to 30" instead of the 17" or 18" height you could normally get out of an underbody compartment, so I'll be able to have my tank (or tanks) vertical while still being mounted safely outside the bus.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:12 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
I used forklift brackets under the bus between the axles. I added mudflaps to the front tires for some extra protection:

https://nashfuel.ecrater.com/p/14124...r-tank-bracket
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Ford E-450 Shuttle Bus
Gotcha. Makes sense.
trspaulding is offline   Reply With Quote