Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
Almost There

Moving door

Well "thomas" is going under the knife again for a so called remodeling.
I was thinking about eliminating the front passenger door to open up more front space. The way my bus is set up I have an isle on the right side that is just wasted space between the cargo area and living, I was thinking about puting a door there. Anybody done it. Are you happy with the result. Id like to use an actual RV door, anyone know of a good place to get a deal on one?

In search of Bus #2
(Sold)1989 Chevy Thomas 8.2 Detroit Allison AT545 Custom 3rd door added in back.
GM Service Tech
JonCBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Check out SportyRicks
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... yricksbus/
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
That's where most of the Wanderlodges have the door. I'm considering it myself,
although I'd probably keep the front one.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
Bus Nut

I'm planning on copying SportyRicks conversion almost to a T. His "basement" AC was, I thought, ingenious.
As far as doors... There are a couple of places in Elkhart, IN... it ain't THAT far to go, in fact, if you want, you can stop by on the way and we both can ditty over there, you know, share gas expenses... I went there several months ago to pick up some stuff, and the drive isn't all that bad... its mostly interstate/tollway
Old 02-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Ah yes. Elkhart. Stick & Staple Capital of the World.

I have a big enough piece left of the air cargo skid to make a really cool door -- and
taller than RV doors, which are all to low for comfort, and certainly for a top hat.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Elliot's got a point.... I've been wondering if thst would be the way to go myself, just that I think it'll end up costing me more to build an outer door & screen door than if I just buy one...
Old 02-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
A little problem I see with closing up the front door and putting one in the middle from a maintenance point of view, is when you do have motor problems and it is going to happen at some point, you will be tracking in dirt and grime through the bus to get to the top of the motor. And lifting bug dirty heavy parts through the inside of the bus too.

For those of us with conventionals we don't have to worry about that as much.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
Bus Nut

You say potatos I say potatoes

You drive a hood, I like driving the bus

Granted, access to the engine is by far more convenient and easier to get to, but accommodations need to be made, if not for one, then for the other... And Murphy's Law will catch up to all of us at, by definition, the most inconvenient time, but the right amount of PM, (Preventive Maintenance), should minimize Murphy's impact....
Old 02-27-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
no front door.

All but the heaviest or largest tools can be handed through the front window by your "helper". If I remember correctly I can reach my tool cart if I lean out the window. Hauling cylinder heads etc. is a pain no matter what the configuration. I have no carpet running down the middle of the bus, just the runway like it always was. This keeps you from getting a dirt path down the middle of your carpet. Removing the front door is wonderful in most any circumstance. Go for it! sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote