Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2020, 07:31 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
With all the windows in a school bus, it is difficult to have decent physical security of the vehicle.
I'm not going to do this myself, but I was thinking that you could weld a vertical flat bar in the center of each window (or maybe even two) on the inside, which wouldn't really affect the windows but would prevent someone from being able to crawl in that way even if the window was entirely removed. With my bulkhead wall and the hatches securely fastened, you couldn't get in by just smashing a window - you'd have to cut something considerable.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepudo View Post
Sooo, I really have to come up with a alternative for locking the service door other than with a padlock.
I had a sturdy lock on the latch that came with it when I bought it from the school and it got broken into and vandalized recently. Looks like they used a crowbar.

Mainly took my tool bag full of tools that I was using for the build and some odds and ends laying around inside.

At least they didn't break any glass.

I reeeally need to find a way to get the air doors to activate from the outside.

Sadly the damage to the doors is probably not enough to justify filing an insurance claim Attachment 42432Attachment 42433Attachment 42434Attachment 42435

If you install a latch as pictured above, when you are in the bus, lock the padlock on the "ring" side of the latch so nobody can latch you inside of the bus.

Don't ask how I know this......

Another bit of advice : If you ever find yourself needing to jump out of your bus window, don't do it wearing cowboy boots.....

Edit: pics aren't showing, see the post above.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:14 AM   #23

Year: 2004
Locking our 2004 Thomas front door.

Eric, Did you ever find a way to lock the 2007 Thomas mostly glass door? Our 2004 Thomas is the same and I'm still trying to decide the best way to lock it if at all possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEMbus View Post
I am having the same issues with my 2007 Thomas Built School Bus, air operated main doors, that swing open outwards, split in the middle, and full glass. I'm currently researching to replace the doors with an RV door, as I have not found a sustainable solution to locking it up! Here is the picture of my doors. Has anyone else found an easier solution without replacing the doors?

Thanks,

Eric
BertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:01 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Attachment 41693

I put a maglock on mine. And a cable for good measure while she is at the storage facility. I currently have a magnet only on the right door(second to close), but I have already purchased another magnet for the left side which should eliminate the play in that door.
Oh - magnets are at the top.
@Meathead - know this is an old post but curious where you got the silver pull handles for your doors?
TheForkInTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote